What's new

specific DNS resolve for VoWIFI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matthew_eli

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using Merlin 388.2_2 and Diversion and I'm trying to figure how I can activate a specific resolve for this entry:

epdg.epc.mnc088.mcc222.pub.3gppnetwork.org --> 151.58.176.144

For all the IP in my LAN (10.128.1.0/24)

My mobile provider bound this resolve to its DNS and I can't spcify those DNS server in my LAN since I've a different ISP for my fiber connection (those DNS can be used also with that specific ISP)

Is it possible to specify something in dnsmasq.conf.add script?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm currently using Merlin 388.2_2 and Diversion and I'm trying to figure how I can activate a specific resolve for this entry:

epdg.epc.mnc088.mcc222.pub.3gppnetwork.org --> 151.58.176.44

For all the IP in my LAN (10.128.1.0/24)

My mobile provider bound this resolve to its DNS and I can't spcify those DNS server in my LAN since I've a different ISP for my fiber connection (those DNS can be used also with that specific ISP)

Is it possible to specify something in dnsmasq.conf.add script?

Yes.

address=/example.com/1.2.3.4

But a better way to do it would be to do server=/example.com/mobile-provider-dns-IP so you are looking it up each time in case it changes. Queries for that domain only will be forwarded to them. Probably just forward all of 3gppnetwork.org but you can be more specific too. Unless you're saying you cannot do lookups to their DNS at all from your internet service in which case this option won't work.

Obviously clients need to be pointing to your router as DNS.

Not familiar with diversion or how that interacts with it though. You may be able to configure something right in there.

Captain Obvious here: Are you are sure that you have VoWiFi and not just VoLTE, both from the provider and your device? *Have both (using different broadband and mobile providers), but I'm aware that not everybody does!

Yes.

address=/example.com/1.2.3.4

But a better way to do it would be to do server=/example.com/mobile-provider-dns-IP so you are looking it up each time in case it changes. Queries for that domain only will be forwarded to them. Probably just forward all of 3gppnetwork.org but you can be more specific too. Unless you're saying you cannot do lookups to their DNS at all from your internet service in which case this option won't work.

Obviously clients need to be pointing to your router as DNS.

Not familiar with diversion or how that interacts with it though. You may be able to configure something right in there.

Ok, this did the trick (address=/example.com/1.2.3.4), but now the service it's still not active on my phone. I'm investigating why

Ok, this did the trick (address=/example.com/1.2.3.4), but now the service it's still not active on my phone. I'm investigating why

Take that setting out...

VoWiFi/VoLTe - three ways to get the P-CSCF discovery...

1) hardcoded in the ISIM application in the SIM card - not common, but depends on the operator
2) Assigned by the PDN connection (4g/5g)
3) DHCP...

epdg.epc.mnc088.mcc222.pub.3gppnetwork.org

That host is specific to the provider 222/88 which if I recall is Wind Mobile

Yeah, and it's enabled by the operator (VoLTE works so also ViWiFi is active), but Wind Mobile lock this resolve on their DNS and you cannot use such DNS excepting with a Wind fiber connection. The only way I figured to sort this out is to put an entry in dnsmasq and it seems to work, since if I ping to:

I got no response (since those servers do not respond to ping) but the resolved address is correct (151.58.176.144).

Anyhow, my mobile phone does not get this functionality. Maybe there is somethin I've to enable on my router? Port forwarding maybe?

Yeah, and it's enabled by the operator (VoLTE works so also ViWiFi is active), but Wind Mobile lock this resolve on their DNS and you cannot use such DNS excepting with a Wind fiber connection. The only way I figured to sort this out is to put an entry in dnsmasq and it seems to work, since if I ping to:

I got no response (since those servers do not respond to ping) but the resolved address is correct (151.58.176.144).

Anyhow, my mobile phone does not get this functionality. Maybe there is somethin I've to enable on my router? Port forwarding maybe?

If they don't let you resolve the DNS from another ISP I'm guessing they also don't let you use wifi calling on another ISP. Seems dumb but there is no other reason they would force you to be on their network to do the DNS lookup.

It should not require any port forwarding or uPNP etc.

Are you sure that isn't the host for VoLTE which would make sense that it would only work when connected to their network? Maybe your phone just isn't supported by their wifi calling, or you have to ask them to enable it on your line etc.

I can say a custom DNS resolve on a different fiber ISB than WIND could work, since one user in another (italian) forum fixed this by AGH (DNS rewrite), using this setting:

1690790578243.png

(Link to the thread: https://forum.fibra.click/d/16694-vowifiwifi-calling-in-italia/556)

Maybe I'm using the wrong setting in DNSmasq. Maybe the problem is I'm using DNS Director? The phone is set on "router" DNS and router uses Google DNS for both IPv4 and IPv6

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!