What's new

Spinning down .... Spinning up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coyrls

New Around Here
I have "Disk spindown idle time" set to 300 in version 378.55 of the Merlin FW on an RT-AC68U. In the system log I see "sd-idle-2.6[4469]: spinning down /dev/sda after 5 mins 30 secs" entries, but after each one there is a "sd-idle-2.6[4469]: spinning up /dev/sda after 4 mins 31 secs" entry. The disk behaves as you would expect with these log entries, spinning down after about five minutes and then spinning up again about five minutes later. It seems that something might be accessing the disk every 10 minutes. I'm not sure what it could be.

I previously had the stock FW installed and had to mess around with disk settings using HDDscan. This worked but did not survive disk power cycles, however when the disk spun down it didn't spin back up again after five minues and so with the stock FW, there didn't appear to be anything accessing the disk every 10 minutes. I manually set up the Merlin FW with the same settings that I had for the stock firmware (after restoring the router to factory defaults following the change of FW) and so I'm not aware of any differences in my settings.

Any idea why the drive is spinning back up after five minutes and how I could stop it?

I have "Disk spindown idle time" set to 300 in version 378.55 of the Merlin FW on an RT-AC68U. In the system log I see "sd-idle-2.6[4469]: spinning down /dev/sda after 5 mins 30 secs" entries, but after each one there is a "sd-idle-2.6[4469]: spinning up /dev/sda after 4 mins 31 secs" entry. The disk behaves as you would expect with these log entries, spinning down after about five minutes and then spinning up again about five minutes later. It seems that something might be accessing the disk every 10 minutes. I'm not sure what it could be.

I previously had the stock FW installed and had to mess around with disk settings using HDDscan. This worked but did not survive disk power cycles, however when the disk spun down it didn't spin back up again after five minues and so with the stock FW, there didn't appear to be anything accessing the disk every 10 minutes. I manually set up the Merlin FW with the same settings that I had for the stock firmware (after restoring the router to factory defaults following the change of FW) and so I'm not aware of any differences in my settings.

Any idea why the drive is spinning back up after five minutes and how I could stop it?

OK, I think I've answered my own question. I turned the DLNA Media server off and it fixed the spinning up problem. I had the DLNA Media server "on" with the stock FW (the default setting) and that didn't cause the disk to spin up after being spun down, so there must be something different in the Merlin FW. I don't need the DLNA media server on and so it's not a huge problem but I don't think it should be accessing the disk every 10 minutes. When I turned the DLNA media server off, the System log entry read: "iTunes: daemon is stopped", even though I had never turned the iTunes server on.