What's new

Spotty VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrmtz85

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, not sure if the cause of my issues is related to the router/Merlin, but figured i'd start here. Also, to note, my tech level is proficient enough to install Merlin and some scripts, and SSH some very basic stuff (while following guides).

The issue I'm having is that i have an AX88U running as a VPN server, and i experience a weird connection glitch where sometimes, despite the connection being established, neither LAN nor WAN work on the device connecting. The device is a Pixel6 Pro, connecting via the OpenVPN app.

Was messing around with it, and finally noticed something which may be related to the issue. When connections DO work, OpenVPN app says it's a UDPv6 connection, and it shows an IPv6 address as my server address. When connections DONT work, it says UDPv4 and it has a regular IPv4 server address. The odd thing is, my home WAN IP address is V4, and whenever I see it on the OpenVPN app, that is my correct address. Not sure why those are the connections that fail, but that's what I've figured out so far.

Thought on what to do/test, or where else to search for answers?

Thanks!

What happens if you add the following to the custom config field of the OpenVPN server.

Code:
proto udp4

What happens if you add the following to the custom config field of the OpenVPN server.

Code:
proto udp4
Doesn't seem to have done anything. After about 30 disconnects/reconnects, i still see about 50/50 UDPv4 and UDPv6, with the v4s still not working.