What's new

Static IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I tried an experiment this evening by assigning IPs to some of my network clients on my RT-N66U, but it didn't work out as I expected. I use powerline adapters for wi-fi in my house and my own PC has a direct Ethernet connection to the router. So, first of all I turned everything off. Next, I rebooted the router and added a few IPs against their respective MAC codes. Then I turned the powerline adapters back on and waited to see what would happen. Some of the devices were assigned the IPs I had specified, but others were not, so I tried to use the bind IP to MAC feature, but it still wouldn't work. Also, an alert was showing against my daughter's mobile phone, saying that two devices were using the same connection (or something like that), which only cleared when I got her to log off and back on to the wi-fi. All in all, it was a bit of a mess. Where could I have gone wrong?

When ever i do this i always first assign the devices and name them then apply when done reboot the router. Then reboot all devices that were assigned a static ip. Maybe the power line adapters are causing the issue.

When ever i do this i always first assign the devices and name them then apply when done reboot the router. Then reboot all devices that were assigned a static ip. Maybe the power line adapters are causing the issue.
That's basically the procedure I followed. However, I have now found the solution, which is, first set a range in the DCHP server to a range outside the one you want to assign manually, e.g. 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150 and the follow the procedure you summarised above. That way, it does work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!