What's new

Strange behavior with my internet distribution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallen234

Occasional Visitor
Hi AllI have a strange problem involving my internet set up at my 2500 sq. house. I have Cox fiber gigablast with an Alcatel ONT. The ONT is plugged into a NETGEAR RAX50 Nighthawk. I had an electrician install a network port in the office, run a Cat 6 cable through the attic to a network port in my home theater room (probably a 150 foot run) that runs into a gigabit switch. I have a cable from the RAX50 into the network port. Here is the strange part. Initially, everything works well and I get 700+ speeds in the theater room. However, after a minute or so, it gets throttled down to 90ish. I thought it might be the switch I am using, so I tested the speed directly from the network port and I still get the same behavior. Is there something about the long cable run that is causing the speed to be "throttled"? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi AllI have a strange problem involving my internet set up at my 2500 sq. house. I have Cox fiber gigablast with an Alcatel ONT. The ONT is plugged into a NETGEAR RAX50 Nighthawk. I had an electrician install a network port in the office, run a Cat 6 cable through the attic to a network port in my home theater room (probably a 150 foot run) that runs into a gigabit switch. I have a cable from the RAX50 into the network port. Here is the strange part. Initially, everything works well and I get 700+ speeds in the theater room. However, after a minute or so, it gets throttled down to 90ish. I thought it might be the switch I am using, so I tested the speed directly from the network port and I still get the same behavior. Is there something about the long cable run that is causing the speed to be "throttled"? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Given the speeds you are reporting one of the links in you LAN is negotiating down from a 1000 Mbps to 100 Mbps. Most likely cause is one of the terminations on the end of one of your cables is bad, next most likely is one of the cables was damaged during installation and finally a bad port on one of your pieces of equipment. The 150' run isn't the issue as the spec for Ethernet says 100 meters is the supported distance.

The first thing I would try is buy is an inexpensive tester and confirm all the cables are pinned correctly and you have continuity on all pairs. Another route is to temporarily run new cables with factory installed terminations to isolate where the problem is.

I had similar problems with Netgear nighthawk used as primary router after switching ISP. Statistics in the Nighthawk showed traffic load on all inner network lines and wifi way higher than incoming by ISP. Since our problems always seemed to start when watching tv I assumed that multicast handling of the Nighthawk router caused the problem.

Okay, so playing Captain Obvious here. When you say the speeds get throttled down to 90Mbps is the link speed still at 1000Mbps? If so, and you then idle the connection in the theatre room, does the connection speed rise back to 700Mbps? If that were the case it could suggest speed/data limiting somewhere in the path, buffering, or just that the receiving device can't handle the sustained transfer rates you are attempting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!