What's new

Swapped over 2 APs, now cannot connect to either!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kamaran

Regular Contributor
I have 2 APs (converted D-Link Dir-655 routers) connected to my main router via seperate homeplug.

One of them has been working poorly for the past few days, so I swapped them over and changed their respective IP addresses around.

Following this I cannot connect to either wirelessly?! I can see the admin page for both routers without issue and wired connections via the APs are also fine.

I tried factory reset, disabling encryption, setting them to different SSID, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
exactly what physical ports from each device involved are you using to connect eachother?

dhcp working? have only the gateway ap as the dhcp server?

DHCP was configured correctly, the issue was that WMM had to be enabled in the advanced wireless settings of Each AP in order to use 802.11n only mode.

I had disabled WMM in the APs recently following somebody who posted a link to the d-link forum with this recommendation from a moderator, turns out they were wrong!

DHCP was configured correctly, the issue was that WMM had to be enabled in the advanced wireless settings of Each AP in order to use 802.11n only mode.

I had disabled WMM in the APs recently following somebody who posted a link to the d-link forum with this recommendation from a moderator, turns out they were wrong!

Where exactly does the D-link moderator say to disable WMM?

I'm not seeing it. One of us needs glasses. ;)

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0

Where exactly does the D-link moderator say to disable WMM?

I'm not seeing it. One of us needs glasses. ;)

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0

Probably my fault!

I went too far with this statement:

5. .........Also turn off or disable other features on the AP router, I.e. Port Forwarding, Firewall, WISH, WPS and any email logging. Save the settings. Close the browser and change your computer’s IP settings back to the original values as in Step 1.

I wasted nearly half a day trying to resolve this :(

Hope it helps someone else

Probably my fault!

I went too far with this statement:

5. .........Also turn off or disable other features on the AP router, I.e. Port Forwarding, Firewall, WISH, WPS and any email logging. Save the settings. Close the browser and change your computer’s IP settings back to the original values as in Step 1.

I wasted nearly half a day trying to resolve this :(

Hope it helps someone else

Grammar girl to the rescue....

He used i.e. not e.g. So that means he was clarifying exactly what you needed to disable. If he had used e.g., then he would have just been giving examples.

Hope that helps you in future from wasting hours troubleshooting.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/ie-versus-eg

You can also search forum and read article by thiggins "Don't mess with WMM".

Thanks, I'm native English so understand the differences.

It was more a case of me skim reading rather than thoroughly reading. Oh well lesson learned at least issues now resolved.

It was more a case of me skim reading rather than thoroughly reading. Oh well, lesson learned, at least issues are now resolved.

It was more a case of me skim reading rather than thoroughly reading. Oh well, lesson learned, at least issues are now resolved.

Glad you got it working. Don't feel bad about wasting time troubleshooting. If I had a nickel for every minute I wasted troubleshooting, I'd be a rich man. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!