What's new

Switch Suggestion - 24 Port Managed with 10GB uplink

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dont forget that you were using their midrange model. The higher range CRS 226 uses a different switch chip than the one you used and have had no issues bonding over different types of devices. In terms of layer 2 firewall and rules i actually leave that to the CCR because CPU based bridging has more features than switching. The CRS 226 uses a higher end qualcomm switch.

If the switch chip LAGG doesnt work with a particular type of bonding than it means other managed switches will not be able to work with it unless it uses the same type of bonding. You will find difficulty with getting non cisco equipment to work with cisco protocols because cisco keeps their stuff proprietary so if you want to use cisco features than you will have to get cisco hardware.

I'll be pretty honest here.
I tried the mikrotik switches (CRS226). The raw value per dollar can't be beat. While I would use them again in my own data center and office, I would never deploy or recommend them to a customer.
The configuration is just too convoluted and the design decisions made to tack on a crappy router is a trap for the uninitiated. They are specialized products that have a loyal following for many reasons. Ease of use and simplicity is not in that list.

Personally I would suggest for a budget unit; (nothing pricier than the Cisco smb)
Zyxel XGS1910-24
Ubiquiti ES48-lite
EBay for a used but true enterprise level device. Eg dell 6224, or 5524

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!