What's new

Syswan route dual wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lppenguin

New Around Here
Hi all,
Have been visiting SNB for years but finally have a need to ask a question.

I have a Syswan SW 24 VPN router which has dual wan inputs and load balancing. Since Syswan is no longer in business I cannot get support from them. I have a small business website that we host at home. We paid an IT guy to set it up several years ago, I am not an IT guy. There is also a dlink router running of the Syswan but set up as a separate network for wifi and everyone to use. This I did.

I have Charter business 80 mb cable service which always shows 40 mb on speedtest. I recently had reason to bypass the router and found that speedtest shows 80 mb on a direct connection to a computer.

Looked into the router and saw that wan 2 was enabled and the load split 50/50 between the wan's. I disabled wan 2 and wan 1 went to 100% load. However, I still can only get 40 mb on speed test. I have searched all of the menus and see nothing obvious in the setup that should be causing this.

Anyone know how I can correct this issue?

Thanks

Thats because the router is likely CPU limited. Its just not fast enough to keep up.
You can try diasbling every feature and check that no limits are set.

I guess its time for an upgrade.

The SW24 is rated at exactly . . . 40mb/s.
There is practically nothing you can do to resolve this with your current hardware.

As SEM stated, you need an upgrade if you want to be able to pass more traffic.

OTOH, if you don't need the extra bandwidth, just call charter and reduce the level of service you are paying for.

Thanks for the input. I won't waste any more time try to fix what I can't fix. Should have joined and posted long ago.

Do the newer home routers have the security features on par with the Syswan? Our total business resides on the server and it is accessed from China where most of our business is. Even tough I do daily data backup and have a clone server in another location I worry about security. Appreciate any input/suggestions.

Question, I have lost my cd for the manual, and need to open a port for remote printing...Would you have the guide for syswan 24 dual router...or possibly guide me through opening a 9100, 9101, and 9102 ports for remote printing?

omg I remember this thing. I bought it before I bought my cisco rv016 as it was much, much cheaper. Ended up returning it. For the record, the rv016 also tops out at about 40Mb.

As far getting more speed out of it, as others have mentioned, it's at the max. Luckily, the multi-wan router space has exploded with reasonably priced choices. But be sure to fully test a replacement before leaving the sw24 behind--all the reasonably priced routers all have bugs, so you'll need to find one that works or has bugs you can live with. Good luck.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!