What's new

Teaming Nics - Need New Network Switch - advise?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

messerchmidt

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Current building a new freenas box on a supermicro board with multiple intel nics. My main PC also has multiple intel gigabit nics. Only using one of them at the moment.

I want to use teaming on both ends to increase transfer speeds. I currently have an el cheapo Dlink 8 port gigabit green switch that is full. I need something with more ports.

This is for a home + home office network.

Was looking at a 16 switch. Apparently for teaming to work properly on both send and receive on both cards, a smart/managed switch is necessary - is this correct?

Netgear M4100-D12G (http://support.netgear.com/product/M4100-D12G%2B$28GSM5212v1h1$29) SUFFICIENT?

OR

should I go with a HP 1810-24G v2 Switch as it does jumbo frames, lcap, etc? http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/networking-switches/product-detail.html?oid=5304944

Last edited:
EDIT: Cancelled the Order. 1810-24g is only 10/100 with gigabit uplink/primary ports. They almost fooled me.

Last edited:
regardless, I will buy the better one.

Suggestions? any suggestions on a model to get? the Netgear M4100-D12G seems to be reasonably priced. I can use it for the PCs,etc and if needed connect it to my old 8 port for my networked HP printer,etc

Last edited:
eBay : Quanta LB4M 48p gbE + 2x 10gbE sfp+ switch

They are going for around $100, and they can do almost every feature you could want at home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI, these have been used by Google and other major cloud services...

Teaming will NOT increase transfer speeds. It only increases aggregate speeds.

So the speed from your desktop to the FreeNAS is still going to be limited to 1GbE. However, you could connect multiple machines to the FreeNAS up to the limit of the number of adapters in it in link aggregation. So two machines could each connect at 1GbE, for 2GbE total, but the max any one machine can use is 1GbE no matter how many adapters it has in it.

What you need for higher single user bandwidth is Windows 8/8.1 or server 2012 to use SMB3.0 and SMB Multichannel (the later is limited to the afformentioned OSs). Those can combine adapters (NOT Link aggregation) to get, say, 2GbE of combined bandwidth (it is what I am doing between my Windows 8 server and 8.1 desktop).

Link aggregation is not what you are looking for.

FYI, these have been used by Google and other major cloud services...

And they also use around 200 watts!

That is ~$200 a year in operating expenses. You actually want to persue link aggregation, just get something like a semi-managed 8 port or 16 port NEW switch. It'll cost you $80-150 and is going to use 3-15w. Massive savings in operating expenses.

The Quanta LB4M is too big for my small office, and too loud. The switch is located above my desk.

Not to concerned about the power usage as long as it works properly.

If I had everything wired into a tech room, multiple users, ip phones,etc - I would probably try it.

I am going from an 8 port dlink green, so almost anything is better.

I did some more reading on teaming. Wish it provided a speed boost, but nevertheless, looks useful in other ways.

All this being said, the Netgear M4100-D12G looks like what I am going to getting regardless. Found it for 212$ cdn + tax, and including shipping.

Using an buffalo AC1750 router with DDWRT and 60/10 cable internet.

Oh, teaming certainly is useful in other ways. It's just that I see a lot of people expecting teaming to suddenly take them from ~115MB/sec transfer speeds to ~230MB/sec transfer speeds between a server and a workstation/desktop and it will not do that at all. SMB Multichannel will, which is part of the reason why I run a Win8 server instead of Ubuntu or FreeNAS, because I want/can utilize/boarderline need the extra speed, that and I have the spare Win8 license, so it didn't cost me anything.

EDIT: Cancelled the Order. 1810-24g is only 10/100 with gigabit uplink/primary ports. They almost fooled me.

Not sure where you got that info from.
"24 RJ-45 autosensing 10/100/1000 ports"
Aside from the "G" modifier at the end of the product label, the reference page you linked says that it has 24 gigabit copper ports.

You probably looked at the 1810-24 (without the G)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!