What's new

The BEST modem to be connected to ASUS RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netman

New Around Here
Hi all,

surely some of you more experienced than me, would you recommend the most powerful modem in circulation ever be coupled with this Super Router?

I thank you for the answer

(maybe others will be wondering if it :))

Hi all,

surely some of you more experienced than me, would you recommend the most powerful modem in circulation ever be coupled with this Super Router?

I thank you for the answer

(maybe others will be wondering if it :))

Modem for what type of connection? Cablemodem DOCSIS? ADSL? Fiber?

In general: anything that can be set in bridged mode will be fine, so it won't interfere with the router.

Adsl modem

Anything that allows you to set it in bridged mode then. Personally I was using a Thomson Speedtouch ST516v6 back when I was on ADSL2+.

ok

and know any modem with Broadcom chip?

:)

The ST516v6 has a Broadcom chip (no idea on the actual part number).

EDIT: Broadcom BCM6338.

I can only speak for what I've used --and for that, if you're using cable, I've found Motorola's first DOCSIS 3 modem, the (now-discontinued) SB6120 has worked very well.

I've heard that people with newer Motorola variants haven't had the same success, but that the 6120 has been fine. However ,that is anecdotal, from other threads I've seen on boards here and there. I haven't had the experience myself.

My reasoning behind getting the AC66U was my Billion 7800N's wireless card burnt out, and being a 2.4Ghz only router, I figured lets go dual band.

Using the 7800N in bridge mode is relatively easy (google it!), and since it's Billion, you have the option of tweaking the SNR natively (192.168.1.254/snr.htm). My backup modem is a Draytek Vigor 120. No SNR tweaking, but a damn good modem, and extremely easy to set into Bridge mode for the AC66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!