What's new

Tired DS 211j due to retire - replacement?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chunkers

Occasional Visitor
I very much love my Synology DS211J but I feel it is now wheezing a bit under the load of stuff I have I running.

It struggles with supporting my Squeezebox and running our new security camera setup , this manifests itself as a very slow and sluggish web interface, failure to index my music in a timely fashion and long delays when given instructions to Squeezecenter via the web interface. It times out when trying to serve up a folder list at times and during back ups it is also very sluggish.

Soooooo .................. I am warming up to the idea of an upgrade, I will probably just keep the DS211j to run security and buy something else to do everything else.

Synology interface is very good and hard to walk away from but I am interested in what my options would be for this kind of spec :

• Budget is £300 ish about 500 USD or 400 Euros
  • Minimum 2 bays, 4 would be nice
  • Web interface with built in security
  • DLNA / Media server built in for photos / video / music
  • Must be able to run Logitech Media Server / Squeezebox server
  • Reasonable power consumption and low noise i.e. I have plenty of old PC's but they use too much power for 24/7

The obvious thing to do is run out and buy a Synology DS 414 or more likely DS 214+.

Before I shell out I thought I would check with the Sages here - are there better value / more powerful units which meet my requirements and are worth considering?

I am reasonably tech-savvy and not afraid to get my hands dirty but want something I can set up and forget which will look after itself for the most part once installed.

Cheers big ears!

Chunkers

EDIT : Don't worry about replying, I did my research and have made my purchase already. C

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!