What's new

Trouble setting up powerline network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riekopo

Regular Contributor
I just got the TRENDnet TPL-420E2K powerline adapter kit. I previously have been using a TP-Link TL-PA511KIT. The TP-Link kit was two pronged, but the TRENDnet kit is three pronged. My router is an Asus N66U. I'm using Cat6a cables.

Previously my powerline adapters were plugged directly into outlets. However, when I got the new kit today I found that I can't plug in both the powerline adapter and the surge protector into the same outlet. The surge protector wires are too thick. I can only have one or the other plugged in. So I moved one powerline adapter to a different outlet, but in my room I only have one outlet with three prongs. My computer, monitor, and Xbox One all use three prongs. The only way for me to plug in everything I need is by plugging in the powerline adapter into the surge protector.

However, the manual says not to do that. The surge protector is a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. I don't understand why the surge protector wires are so thick and obtrusive. If they were normal sized then I would be able to plug the adapter and surge protector into the same outlet. Are there any surge protectors that have normal wires?

There's another outlet in my room just to the right that is two pronged. I guess I could switch it to a three prong outlet. Here's a picture of it. I don't know anything about that or if it's even possible.

I just got the TRENDnet TPL-420E2K powerline adapter kit. I previously have been using a TP-Link TL-PA511KIT. The TP-Link kit was two pronged, but the TRENDnet kit is three pronged. My router is an Asus N66U. I'm using Cat6a cables.

Previously my powerline adapters were plugged directly into outlets. However, when I got the new kit today I found that I can't plug in both the powerline adapter and the surge protector into the same outlet. The surge protector wires are too thick. I can only have one or the other plugged in. So I moved one powerline adapter to a different outlet, but in my room I only have one outlet with three prongs. My computer, monitor, and Xbox One all use three prongs. The only way for me to plug in everything I need is by plugging in the powerline adapter into the surge protector.

However, the manual says not to do that. The surge protector is a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. I don't understand why the surge protector wires are so thick and obtrusive. If they were normal sized then I would be able to plug the adapter and surge protector into the same outlet. Are there any surge protectors that have normal wires?

There's another outlet in my room just to the right that is two pronged. I guess I could switch it to a three prong outlet. Here's a picture of it. I don't know anything about that or if it's even possible.

Hi,
You can use regular power bar.

He means you can use a regular power strip. So long as it is not an ACTUAL surge protector, you are good. A surge protector is generally filtered, which will screw with powerline. A power strip has no surge protection, so it is fine to plug powerline in to it. Downside is, more likely to have noisy devices also plugged in to the power strip.

You can also get pass-through powerline adapters. The bonus there is, those also tend to filter anything plugged in to the powerline adapter, as in, the PA will filter the noise coming from devices behind it. So you kill two birds with one stone. You get the PA plugged directly in to the outlet, but you also reduce the impact of any of the other electrical equipment plugged in near the PA.

cheap power strip- one that has no filters/surge suppressors.

Or an extension cord + 3-way plug adapter. Doesn't attenuate.

You can also get pass-through powerline adapters. The bonus there is, those also tend to filter anything plugged in to the powerline adapter, as in, the PA will filter the noise coming from devices behind it. So you kill two birds with one stone. You get the PA plugged directly in to the outlet, but you also reduce the impact of any of the other electrical equipment plugged in near the PA.

So I could get the pass-through version of this adapter and plug my 900 watt Cyberpower UPS into it?

cheap power strip- one that has no filters/surge suppressors.

Or an extension cord + 3-way plug adapter. Doesn't attenuate.

Can you point some power strips and adapters out that are like that? What does attenuate mean?

Attenuate means to make weaker.

Any cheap simple power strip that doesn't say it is a surge protector is good to go. There are literally millions of them out there. Pretty much any power strip you'd get at the store would work great...so long as it doesn't say "surge protector" on it.

As for the question about the pass through, yes, you could get one and then plug your UPS in to it. You do NOT want plug the powerline adapter into the UPS, as it'll play merry hell with powerline. A pass through and the other way around, the UPS plugged in to the PA adapter, will work fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!