What's new

TS-112 and OpenVPN install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr Strangelove

Occasional Visitor
TS-112 and OpenVPN using E4200 and Tomato firmware

I have bought a TS-112 with latest firmware on (3.5.0 Build 0816T) and I'd like to install OpenVPN(or appropriate VPN server) onto it.

Never done anything like this and my Linux is a bit (lot) rusty.

I would install on my router, but being a Linksys E4200 there isn't any alternative firmware available to support it yet. (that I'm aware off)

Any advise/information on the subject would be appreciated.

**Update**

Used OpenVPN on a Linksys E4200 running Tomato firmware to provide solution.

Last edited:
Decided against installing OpenVPN on my QNAP TS-112.
Figured my NAS should be left to do NAS things.

Instead I was directed to the Toastman Tomato firmware which supports OpenVPN on a Linksys E4200 router.

The install of the firmware and the configuration of the OpenVPN server was pretty straight forward.

The lack of support for the 5Ghz radio using Tomato firmware on the Linksys E4200 is about the only downside if you using it(5Ghz has weak signal strength). Other than that, you'll probably question why you didn't move off the original Linksys E4200 firmware earlier. Tomato firmware has better support for 2.4Ghz channel selection and width.

That said, if you don't have a requirement for added features, the original Linksys firmware is pretty stable and I never had any issues with it while I was using it.

On another note it is mooted that QNAP may support VPNs in the next firmware release. Not sure in Synology had a hand in pushing that, as they now support OpenVPN.

I have bought a TS-112 with latest firmware on (3.5.0 Build 0816T) and I'd like to install OpenVPN(or appropriate VPN server) onto it.

Never done anything like this and my Linux is a bit (lot) rusty.

I would install on my router, but being a Linksys E4200 there isn't any alternative firmware available to support it yet. (that I'm aware off)

Any advise/information on the subject would be appreciated.

I just read and article on QNap's forum that they will be adding OpenVPN support to their next major firmware release.

FYI

Tomato firmware supports 5Ghz WiFi on Linksys E4200

Just a quick update.

The Tomato Toastman firmware for the Linksys E4200 now supports the 5Ghz radio for WiFi use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!