What's new

U-Verse setup problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woody1

Occasional Visitor
I have had U-Verse working in modem-only mode with my Asus AC-68P router working behind it for months. Yesterday my U-Verse gateway failed and I replaced it with a new one. When I first connected the router to the gateway, the router pulled a local IP address from the modem and I was able to connect and start to switch the gateway to bridged operation.

After I turned off all of the NAT functions on the gateway, the router stopped connecting to the gateway. I have tried rebooting both devices multiple times. I also tried resetting the gateway to default settings and then starting again. I'm still unable to get the router to pull an IP address from the gateway. I tried connecting using DHCP and also static IP. The router will not get an IP address.

If I unplug the cable between the 2 devices then plug it in again, the router briefly shows that it connects with a WAN ip address. This only lasts for a second or 2, then the connection disappears. At this point, I can't figure out how to get this to work. It appears to be some sort of problem with the DHCP client on the router negotiating with the gateway, but I can't see what the problem is. I would appreciate any troubleshooting suggestions anyone might have.

UVerse comes in a couple of different flavors - are you standard DSL (e.g. in the back of the "modem" is it a RJ11 phone line), or FTTN/FTTP, where it has an RJ45 ethernet connection?

Just Broadband (HSIA) or do you also get IPTV/Dial Tone with the service?

This is using DSL over twisted copper. I'm using this for broadband only, no TV and no Voip.

The Gateway device is a Pace 5031NV. I had this working before with the same kind of device at both ends. The gateway is getting a good broadband connection. I can connect a PC directly to the gateway and get an IP assigned using DHCP. The problem is that I can't get the Asus router to connect and get an IP assigned.

This is using DSL over twisted copper. I'm using this for broadband only, no TV and no Voip.

The Gateway device is a Pace 5031NV. I had this working before with the same kind of device at both ends. The gateway is getting a good broadband connection. I can connect a PC directly to the gateway and get an IP assigned using DHCP. The problem is that I can't get the Asus router to connect and get an IP assigned.

They might have the replacement modem provisioned incorrectly on the DSLAM - probably time to call Customer Care and have them check...

They might have the replacement modem provisioned incorrectly on the DSLAM - probably time to call Customer Care and have them check...
I don't think so. A PC connected directly to device gets an IP and connects to the internet without a problem. If the PC can get an IP assigned, I don't know why the router won't get one. The problem is getting the router to connect to the gateway. Plus AT&T won't provide support for a router behind the gateway, so I don't thing they would be of any use.

Well, it turned out to be something quite stupid. My patch cables route through a UPS to provide protection from electrical spikes. It appears that one of the cables was a crossover cable. This seemed to work fine with the original gateway, but not the second one. Thanks for those who offered suggestions!