What's new

Ubiquiti Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magwezie

New Around Here
I am looking to build a new home network when we move into our new home toward the end of the year or year 2017.
I am hoping for some feedback on the hardware I am thinking of for the network.

3 x Unifi AC Lite Access Points (42 Square 2 story house)
1 x Unifi Switch US-24-250W
1 x Unifi Security Gateway

I will be also looking to upgrade to a new NAS which will run the Unifi Software.

I have use consumer based hardware for many years, and although no major headaches, I though in the new house try and do it right. I had never gone to enterprise grade equipment due to expense and configuration.

I don't have complex requirements for the house.
I will have the following connected
4 x External Cameras (PoE)
3 x AP (mentioned above - POE)

Laptops, Smart Phones, Tablets
Mostly internet browsing, Netflix, YouTube etc.

I just want to have a fairly simple, low maintenance, stable network across the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a reasonable solution at the moment - might not need all those AP's, two might be enough (sometimes less is more).

As you get closer to the move-in date, see what's current at the time, as things are evolving fairly quickly, and then plan from there...

My only recommendations are to get the AC Pro access points and to spend $99 to get a CloudKey. It runs the controller and will allow you to access your network settings/stats from anywhere.

Thanks for the replies.
Why is the CloudKey a better solution than running the software from my Synology NAS. Does it offer more features when run from the CloudKey?
As this is a home network I would not have need to remotely manage my network devices. I will have full access to the NAS anyhow

because cloudkey becomes the central point so that if your NAS goes down or is shut down than it wont hamper anything. It is also easier to set up (you wont need to do port forwarding or vpn) because the hardware that ubiquiti uses isnt that great with openVPN.

the USG seems fine up to a certain speed.

Thanks for the replies.
Why is the CloudKey a better solution than running the software from my Synology NAS. Does it offer more features when run from the CloudKey?
As this is a home network I would not have need to remotely manage my network devices. I will have full access to the NAS anyhow

How were you planning on getting the software to run on your Synology? There is no native app that I'm aware of. I ask cause I was tossing this idea around as well..

How were you planning on getting the software to run on your Synology? There is no native app that I'm aware of. I ask cause I was tossing this idea around as well..

There is a team that has a 3rd party package support for it:

http://synology.acmenet.ru/

If you look on the synology forums, there is also some instructions on running it through docker.

I used the 3rd party package for a while, but since it depends on java, it was always a bit wonky. had to add cron jobs to reboot, etc. I ended up needing more virtualization, so I ended up running it on Windows 7 in ESXi...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!