What's new

Understanding the Log

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Badger!?! badger?!? - for you @dave14305 with some Rochester NY roots, it would be my pleasure.

Fair warning. I am heading OOT this Tuesday - for 3 weeks. I will try some addition debugging early tomorrow.
When the network can be reboot a few times ;-)
Remember the neighborhood! If you want to PM me some existing YazDHCP files I will try to crash dnsmasq 2.89 on my own router.

Sep 14 03:58:47 dnsmasq[32056]: read /etc/hosts - 24 names
Sep 14 03:58:47 dnsmasq[32056]: read /jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d/.hostnames - 338 names

I don’t have 338 static IP addresses. I might have 145 to 150.
As @dave14305 already pointed out, that's a significant discrepancy and, perhaps, it's a possible clue that leads to the specific dnsmasq crash scenario that you're seeing. Would you mind sharing your YazDHCP-generated files: .hostnames, .optionslist, .staticlist?

Along with the files, please send a screenshot of the output of the following command typed on your router via an SSH terminal window:
Bash:
ls -alF /jffs/addons/YazDHCP.d | grep -E "\.hostnames|\.optionslist|\.staticlist"

If you prefer, you can send the files to me via PM, but only if you're up to it (health-wise), and if you feel comfortable sharing them. Otherwise, no worries; one's health and that of the family always come first.

Ok, did a bunch of experimenting this morning.

Unfortunately, I no longer see a fatal error for dnsmasq....

What I did was disable my script that replaces dnsmasq v2.89 with an older v2.85

Rebooted and I was now running dnsmasq v 2.89.

Did a grep on /tmp/syslog.log for dnsmasq messages. dnsmasq read the addons .staticlist and .hostnames files fine...
Ok. I had a backup from April. I had added and made a few changes between April and now.
Replaced .staticlist and .hostnames file with the older versions.
Did a restart of dnsmasq.
Again, read the files fine.

Frankly, I'm stumped. It appears now that at least in my case dnsmasq v 2.89 runs fine. Besides the minor changes to .hostnames and .staticlist, the only other change would be the firmware update from 388.2 to 388.4.
I believe in both firmwares, dnsmasq was always v 2.89...
Hard to believe the firmware updates had any effect. Like I said, I'm now stumped.
Maybe an update lib?

I will keep looking around for an older .hostnames and .staticlist for now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!