What's new

Unreliable HomePlug AV connection, would AV2 be better?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KTL

New Around Here
My place isn't large, and I need to get internet to 2 places, but wifi is not reliable due to shielding.

I purchased 4 (no singles…) AV500 TP-Link TL-PA4020/10. They were promised to work across phases, and it works well to place A, but became utterly unreliable to place B, near a PC - it keeps disconnecting and needs to be unplugged & replugged. In the beginning there were only rare disconnects. I don’t' know what has changed, definitely not in room B. I tried different adapters that I own.

I have 3 phase electricity. Place A is under the same fuse as the modem, and naturally phase; place B - impossible to see what phase without dismantling the board. I also have to use splitters in all sockets.

My problem with AV/AV2 filtered adapters is that no grounded ones are made for my local sockets, so either I just use it without the ground, or I have to use some universal adapter, or make a short converter cable.

I couldn't find anything about reliability, and speed is less critical for me.

Other than trying to reroute my distribution board, can you see a different way?

How likely would buying AV2 adapters work? If so, what class? Just go for the fastest ones? Would I be able to use 2 of them with one of my AV500 in place A, without making the B connection less reliable?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

neither type of these are designed to work with 3 phase. Single phase only at the plug end. If the devices have a grounding male terminal, then that is required for the device to work properly and to protect you from a fault to case. If you are making an adapter to get from a 3 phase plug to a single phase device, you need more than a hot neutral - you need a true neutral and with today's code, a safety ground back to the service entrance if the device has a safety ground terminal present.

you will need to convert to single phase upstream with safety ground properly installed if you want this to work.

If you have RG6 present, go MOCA.

I am not sure I understood all of this. I only have single phase sockets, split between 3 different phases. I do not intend to use a 3 phase socket. Only the shape of the grounded socket is different from the available homeplugs. If I use one without an adapter, then it wont connect to the ground, and will not have the extra path.
I will not use it to connect appliances that need grounding.
Unfortunately, I don't have RG6 at one end.

OP - check the wiring at the outlet for location B - if that is incorrect, then you may see dropouts

Going to AV2 might give you more bandwidth, but still it's going to be noise limited, and without changing the situation for location B, you're likely going to have the same problem.

HomePlug can work on 3-phase power - if you go cross-phase, there is a performance hit, so one needs to be mindful of the wiring at the outlet.

TP-Link addresses this in their FAQ -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-406.html

tplink_3phase.jpg

Also check for interference generating devices near location B - cell phone changes and other AC adapters are problematic, and HomePlug's should not be plugged into power strips - they should be direct on the outlet.