What's new

Upgrade D-Link 850l

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

faoliveira

New Around Here
Hello!

Currently own the D-Link 850L router (my past router was linksys e2500). Unfortunately, in particular the Room C of the apartment, the signal gets weak (in the Windows Wi-Fi Status, Speed showing 1-2 Mbps). I consider buying a repeater, however the apartment has about 92m², which I think is little to rely a repeater.

I've tried changing the modem and router for that room C, however, the signal becomes bad for the whole apartment

The router is currently in the Room A. If I put in the living room, there is not much difference. Below is an attempt to floor plant hahahha, just to get a sense
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mohu9azrll8sfip/floor.jpg?dl=0

I think in acquiring TP-Link C8, D-Link 868l, Linksys EA6700 or Netgear R6300v2. They are the best (at price) that I can find here.

What I connect to Wi-Fi are:
- PS4, smartphones, iPad (support AC) and notebooks (dual band N at moment)

Update:
- the signal 5Ghz does not even come in the room c
- in inSSIDER Home, there're days coming to show almost 22 networks in room C. I've tried to change almost every available channel
- I have an ADSL internet (35mbps)
- when i say, signal and speed in room c are bad, sometimes i barely watch 144p youtube videos. I don't know if it's because it is close to a bathroom, the amount of nearby networks, some other interference or whether it's the building support column.

Last edited:
I would not expect a big improvement in range from a new router, especially for 5 GHz.

I suggest trying a dual-band AC extender like the NETGEAR EX6150 or other top-rated AC1200 extenders. Follow the instructions for placement. You do not put the extender in the room where your dead spot is.....

Best solution is to run Ethernet to the room and connect a second access point. If you can't run Ethernet, try a pair of AV2-MIMO adapters.

I would not recommend any of the routers you are considering.

And it sounds like you can put the modem and router almost anywhere you want. Is the Hall placement a possibility?

You also state that you've tried different channels, but at what channel width? Did you do a reboot of the router after each change?

What device are you using to test your coverage with? If it is a mobile phone/pad then all bets are off. A full size laptop, plugged in and kept in a consistent location and orientation for each room or area tested in is recommended to test different router settings.

I would also caution you about running inssider while you're doing your testing with your device. It interferes badly when running and I finally stopped using it when I was required to reboot the computer I would use it on to 'clear' it's interference.

How high is your router located above ground (earth) level? At least 10'? Is it in open air on as many sides as possible (at least 3') or is it inside a cabinet, closet or other enclosure?

Is there any updated firmware for your router? I would flash the latest available (for security reasons if nothing else) and then do a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the latest firmware. Then proceed to manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect it to your ISP (do not use a backup cfg file). I would also suggest you use new ssid's too.

Speaking of ssid's, do any of your neighbors know your logins? If they do, change not only the ssid's, but the passphrase as well.

I would not expect a big improvement in range from a new router, especially for 5 GHz.

I suggest trying a dual-band AC extender like the NETGEAR EX6150 or other top-rated AC1200 extenders. Follow the instructions for placement. You do not put the extender in the room where your dead spot is.....

Best solution is to run Ethernet to the room and connect a second access point. If you can't run Ethernet, try a pair of AV2-MIMO adapters.

Thank you for honest answer. I'll look for some extenders.

I would not recommend any of the routers you are considering.

And it sounds like you can put the modem and router almost anywhere you want. Is the Hall placement a possibility?

You also state that you've tried different channels, but at what channel width? Did you do a reboot of the router after each change?

What device are you using to test your coverage with? If it is a mobile phone/pad then all bets are off. A full size laptop, plugged in and kept in a consistent location and orientation for each room or area tested in is recommended to test different router settings.

I would also caution you about running inssider while you're doing your testing with your device. It interferes badly when running and I finally stopped using it when I was required to reboot the computer I would use it on to 'clear' it's interference.

How high is your router located above ground (earth) level? At least 10'? Is it in open air on as many sides as possible (at least 3') or is it inside a cabinet, closet or other enclosure?

Is there any updated firmware for your router? I would flash the latest available (for security reasons if nothing else) and then do a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the latest firmware. Then proceed to manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect it to your ISP (do not use a backup cfg file). I would also suggest you use new ssid's too.

Speaking of ssid's, do any of your neighbors know your logins? If they do, change not only the ssid's, but the passphrase as well.

I'll answer the questions in order.
- No, it's not possible to install in Hall :/
- Tried 20Hz, 40Hz and Automatic. And yes, after setup i do reboot
- Laptop plugged in in the same location
- Hum... It is on top of a bench. I believe that around one meter high. Not enclosed
- Last update installed. And none of my neighbors know my logins.

Thank you for honest answer. I'll look for some extenders.

I'll answer the questions in order.
- No, it's not possible to install in Hall :/
- Tried 20Hz, 40Hz and Automatic. And yes, after setup i do reboot
- Laptop plugged in in the same location
- Hum... It is on top of a bench. I believe that around one meter high. Not enclosed
- Last update installed. And none of my neighbors know my logins.

If that is one meter higher than earth / ground level, I would try raising the router as high as possible (but still about a metre lower than the ceiling) and see how it affects the range and throughput in your home. If you see a difference, you might want to test different channels quickly while it's there.

Use a small step ladder or boxes with a plastic laundry basket (upside down) to raise it to the approximate level to test with.

If you see a difference but still not effective enough, I think a current / mature, up to date firmware router like the RT-AC68U might be worth trying at that point. With RMerlin firmware or john9527's firmware too.

The router you're using showed poor range in the 2.4GHz band and even worse in the 5GHz band. Newer routers are much stronger in those areas.

Thanks for the tip! Gonna try. One question, that powerline adapters with wifi, works? I mean, it's a good solution?

Thanks for the tip! Gonna try. One question, that powerline adapters with wifi, works? I mean, it's a good solution?

Powerline adapters would be my last choice for a customer I didn't want to see again. I have not seen them work to expectations at all.

Yes. It works. TP-LINK and NETGEAR have combination products.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...nge-extender-av500-powerline-edition-reviewed

The above kit is AV500 based. If you try the combo method, make your own with separate AV2-MIMO adapters and a repurposed wireless router.

Powerline can work well, but, like wireless, performance is very dependent on interference and other location-dependent factors.

Yes. It works. ...
Powerline can work well, but, like wireless, performance is very dependent on interference and other location-dependent factors.
Works = can be forgotten? Survives power failures, noise light dimmers/motors, hair dryers, AND new arrangements of AC plug strips, etc?
MoCA has the advantage of a medium with almost no noise and interference problems. For me, its been a install and forget. It is as intended: a cat5 cable replacement.

Works = can be forgotten? Survives power failures, noise light dimmers/motors, hair dryers, AND new arrangements of AC plug strips, etc?
The question was "that powerline adapters with wifi, works". And yes, you can combine the two technologies.

All alternatives to Ethernet have strengths and weaknesses, including MoCA.