What's new

Upgrade Router - How to keep devices setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avi16000

New Around Here
Current setup
ASUS ROG Rapture - AXE16000 WiFi 6E ( Main Aimesh Router )
ET12 ( AiMesh node )
ET12 ( AiMesh node )
ET12 ( AiMesh node )

I'm going to upgrade the AXE16000 with ASUS Rapture GT-BE98 Pro.
But before setting up the new router as my main AiMesh router, I will have to change one of my ET12 nodes to become the main router.

My question is - I don't care about the DHCP addresses, but I do have more than 100 wifi devices in my LAN. How I can keep the Wifi connection of these devices every time I change a router, I don't want to set up all the devices manually again.

Thank you in advance for helping

Your LAN will have to be down for a bit. Reset all the nodes and current router to factory settings. Set up the new router with the same SSID as the old then add the nodes back in one at a time. All you clients should connect.

Why would you reconfigure your network twice? Unless you're selling the AXE16000 to finance the WiFi 7 router?

I'm hoping you will use the new WiFi 7 router as the main, correct?

Reusing the same SSID and key should be seamless for most devices. Be aware that WIndows machines might switch from a Private to a Public network profile however, so if you needed to be able to remotely access these machines (RDP, network share, etc...), you might need to switch them back to a Private network profile.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!