What's new

Upgrade to RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akashi

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

After using a RT-N66U with Merlin's firmware for many years, I need to upgrade to 'AC'.

I was considering either the AC68U or AC87U as my next upgrade.

The AC87U is currently on offer and there are mixed reviews on it's performance. I have mainly seen two issues constantly pop-out; high temps and 5GHz WiFi problems.

Are these old issues and now resolved with firmware updates?

Also, will Merlin's new AM382 firmware be supported on this model?

Thanks in advance.

i upgraded from n66u to 87u and my 87u work great and rock stable for both band. n66u work as repeater also without any problems.

Last edited:
Get the rt-ac68u. Or any of its variants. Even the rt-ac66u B1.

I "upgraded" from an AC68U to an AC87U. What a mistake that was! My intention was to use the AC87U in repeater or media bridge mode (main router is AC88U) and put the old AC68U somewhere else. Both modes didn't work on the AC87U...I tried a few custom firmwares...nada. Finally decided to sell the 87U and get the AC3100 instead. Repeater mode didn't work either, but atleast bridge mode worked. With the AC68U, both repeater and bridge mode worked.

save a little more money and buy the 86U when the firmware is mature enough (after Merlin releases 382.1). the 87U will eventually get on the AM382 firmware, but it depends on Asus when that will happen. if you do decide to get the 87U, buy a 14" laptop cooler with a large fan for it - you'll need it.

if you live in the US, just buy the 68P - it has the 87U's CPU and none if its problems with cooling.

if you don't need the faster CPU for OpenVPN or a have a lot of wireless devices just go for the 68U.

I upgraded from a AC68U/N66U combination to two AC87U - rock solid plus great coverage and speed! :cool:

You need to install latest firmware (preferred is Merlin's fork) and do a factory rest (in the GUI) plus a power down (to reset all chips) and wait 1 minute. Then reconfigure the router manually and be happy (and do this on every firmware update)! ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!