What's new

URL To stream a Movie from NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SedoSan

Occasional Visitor
I'm maintaining a custom made storage server with a dedicated raid card and 8 HDDs in RAID5, I'm storing every type of media that I have on it from Anime to TV shows and movies.
There are around ~10 users in my house that I share this NAS with, I wanted to do an intranet locally that a user can enter and choose a movie to watch instead of physically accessing the NAS folders.
What is the best way to do that?
Something like file://NAS/Movies/Movie.avi
But this link above will download the file instead of actually streaming it.
Also not only for streaming files, i'd like the URL to just launch the file without downloading it. I might install games on this NAS and let the users stream it directly...

How can I do this?

Regards,

There is Web software you can use to access the NAS folders as Media user would login to the Media Center to access Media. Are these PCs on Mac, Win or Lin?

There are Web Music Servers that would able to do the same. These are free also Video Servers. Software that would run on your server and thus setup to access NAS folders. Every user would login into one of these servers that run on the Browser. If you don't want to do this you can use Media Center from Windows for Windows PC. All Music, Movies, Videos would appear from the NAS automatically updating in the background when you add new media.

Windows Media Center
Media Portal

Some choices you have.. You can setup one PC to record HD shows, movies and everyone who has Windows 7 could access such media.

For my storage server I had win7x64 installed on it and i'm sharing the RAID storage... and the users, they are all win7 except for 1 mac and 1 xp...

I tried googling for web software to install but I didn't know exactly what i'm looking for, can you tell me how it works? or a good software name?

Thanks,

For my storage server I had win7x64 installed on it and i'm sharing the RAID storage... and the users, they are all win7 except for 1 mac and 1 xp...

I tried googling for web software to install but I didn't know exactly what i'm looking for, can you tell me how it works? or a good software name?

Thanks,

For Music Web Server use Vibe Streamer
http://www.vibestreamer.com/

Easy to setup, you can add users to this server for them to login via their Web Browser. You can also see who's log in and control what they can access.

Another one is called Sockso
http://sockso.pu-gh.com/

Cross Platforms so you can use it on Mac also.

As for Video Plus Music Web Server
VLC Streaming

How to Stream using VLC Internet Streaming Server (Windows)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrq_b_DVuec
http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch02.html

Or use Media Portal
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

The one above would need to be installed all PCs they do have WEb Streamer you can use on Browsers.

All of the above is freeware or opensource. Of course there ones you can pay for.

While all of these are valid options, I don't think they truly fulfill what I have in mind.

What I want to do is make my own local website for local users, this website will have multiple links, one to Movies, one to TV shows, etc... but most importantly, one to PC Games. I know a lot of programs can stream TV and Audio, but I also need something to stream .exe applications.

In this website I'll have for example 4 games' links, if a user clicks a link of those, it will be as if he browsed through the NAS box and clicked on the game itself there, but instead he did it in an Internet Browser, then the game shall Launch and he starts playing the game.

most any NAS will do what you describe (Synology, QNAP are top shelf). But the hard part is designing the web pages. Most NASes like the above run Apache which is widely used as a web server.

But your goals are a daunting task unless you're a web developer, or you can find a web page suite to re-use.

The exe's are simply files on the NAS that a PC elects to run. E.g., the PC has a drive letter for the NAS and installs apps there. Slower to load due to the LAN, but you goal was to put exe's on the NAS.

While all of these are valid options, I don't think they truly fulfill what I have in mind.

What I want to do is make my own local website for local users, this website will have multiple links, one to Movies, one to TV shows, etc... but most importantly, one to PC Games. I know a lot of programs can stream TV and Audio, but I also need something to stream .exe applications.

In this website I'll have for example 4 games' links, if a user clicks a link of those, it will be as if he browsed through the NAS box and clicked on the game itself there, but instead he did it in an Internet Browser, then the game shall Launch and he starts playing the game.

Your title of this thread reads URL to stream a Movie from NAS, you didn't say anything about running games.

My NAS I can run movies from Web Browser also Media Server, but you can turn any Windows Server OS into Media Server. The links are for allowing whoever you want to access your media movies, tv, music via from the NAS shared volumes tree folders to web browser.

Media Server Client Software on other devices like Android is what I use to tap into my NAS wich sees also all shares volume.

The old way to run games was to create LAN Party Server Access. One Server was use to be the host the other clients would be whoever you wanted to access the games you want in role play or etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!