What's new

USB HDD Spontaneously started unmounting itself

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zhenya

Occasional Visitor
All,
I've had my N66 with .50 Merlin running for a while without an issue for a while now. Since the update I have had almost zero issue with the attached USB HDD (wall-powered). In the last two days, the drive has been unmouting itself - here is the log that could possibly be showing the issue. Any input would be great

Code:
May 17 02:13:20 kernel: usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/64, error -145
May 17 02:13:20 kernel: usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
May 17 02:13:25 kernel: usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/8, error -145
May 17 02:13:31 kernel: usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/8, error -145
May 17 02:13:31 kernel: usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
May 17 02:13:36 kernel: usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/8, error -145
May 17 02:13:41 kernel: usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/8, error -145
May 17 02:13:41 kernel: hub 1-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
May 17 02:13:41 kernel: usb 1-1.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
May 17 02:13:41 kernel: usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
May 17 02:13:41 kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
May 17 02:13:43 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Multi    Flash Reader     1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
May 17 02:13:43 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
May 17 02:13:43 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

Looks like a hardware issue to me. Check that the USB cable isn't loose or damaged. Try plugging it into another USB socket. Also check the HDD power supply isn't faulty.

So i've done a few test:

• Unplugging and replugging the usb cable into the same or different socket does not wake the drive backup
  • Unplugging the power and replugging it starts the mounting process
  • Harddrive still gets disconnected after a while - it almost looks like its going to some kind of sleep mode.
  • Is there a more verbose logging i can run to see more info? Any other ideas?

This is not a hardware issue of Zhenya's router - I had the same problem two days ago but didn't mention it here since I thought this might have been caused by... whatever; and only affected me.

I tried everything, unplugging and replugging the drive. Shutting ftp/nfs on and off, etc. ...only a reboot fixed it. I've never had that problem with any pre.-53 firmware.

I've only had that problem once so far, but maybe this is because I've got a script that reboots my router every morning at 5AM.

Fun fact: I've got an RT-AC87, so it seems to be a software issue.

Anyone else who had the same problem? Again: zero issues like this - ever - with any of the older firmwares.

PS: I was checking the logs at the time and AFAIR I could't find anything that looked related to me. Oh, and this "disk spindown" option, or whatever it is called, is untouched at "0" which is the default.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!