What's new

USB network card/dongle connecting to RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dikkiedirk

Regular Contributor
What are the most compatible options offering highest speeds and bandwith for a USB adapter/dongle connecting to the RT-N66U on 2.4 or 5 GHz?

I need one for my ASUS laptop which has a Atheros card inside and only offers 2.4 GHz @ 150 Mbit (Speed shown in Windows 7 ult. 64b).

Would a swap of internal card be possible or advisable? Maybe Intel 6230?

As far as dongle I see Asus and Trendnet offering a 450 MBs solution. These speeds should be taken with a grain of salt I guess.

What are the most compatible options offering highest speeds and bandwith for a USB adapter/dongle connecting to the RT-N66U on 2.4 or 5 GHz?

I need one for my ASUS laptop which has a Atheros card inside and only offers 2.4 GHz @ 150 Mbit (Speed shown in Windows 7 ult. 64b).

Would a swap of internal card be possible or advisable? Maybe Intel 6230?

As far as dongle I see Asus and Trendnet offering a 450 MBs solution. These speeds should be taken with a grain of salt I guess.
Set the 2.4GHz band to Channel 6 if at all possible. If that is has too much interference then use Channels 1 or 11. Set your bandwidth to 40MHz, or higher if using the RT-AC66u, on the router and at least 20/40MHz on your adapter. Set both router and adapter to N only if possible or 802.11g/n. You want to avoid using 802.11b. Do the same for 5GHz and I find using the lowest channel possible helps my connectivity.

I am using Intel Centrino Ultimate N-6300, a high-power 802.11b/g/n adapter from our good friends in China and TrendNET's TEW-684UB N-900 USB adapter. My high power adapter also connects to SDSU's WiFi and it loves connecting to my neighbor's open WiFi at random. The TrendNET adapter is very cool. I bought one for my wife and daughter it works so well. It was $45 at NewEgg.com and may be cheaper now. Good luck

I have an Asus K53E laptop which also came with those weak Atheros cards. I replaced it with an inexpensive (23$) Intel Centrino 6230 internal card, which gave me dual band, dual stream, and Bluetooth. Well worth the upgrade, and easy to do as well since Asus does not use a card whitelist (like some companies do) to enforce only certain models of cards.

Well, I got an Intel N6230 adapter. Uninstalled the Atheros drivers, took out the Atheros card, installed the N6230 and installed Intel PROset 14.3.1 drivers and software.

I indeed can connect in the the 2.4 and 5 GHZ band. Signal strength shows "Excellent" but speeds as shown in Windows 7 are a bit erratic and don't reach 300 Mbps but in 2.4 are between 130 and 260 and in the 5 between 90 and 180. Is this because there are still "leftovers" of the Atheros drivers or is it normal behaviour of a Intel card connecting to the RT-N66U?

Or is there a driver update from Intel that can fix this?
Asus has an Intel 14.1 driver listed on their site, should I try this?

Well, I got an Intel N6230 adapter. Uninstalled the Atheros drivers, took out the Atheros card, installed the N6230 and installed Intel PROset 14.3.1 drivers and software.

I indeed can connect in the the 2.4 and 5 GHZ band. Signal strength shows "Excellent" but speeds as shown in Windows 7 are a bit erratic and don't reach 300 Mbps but in 2.4 are between 130 and 260 and in the 5 between 90 and 180. Is this because there are still "leftovers" of the Atheros drivers or is it normal behaviour of a Intel card connecting to the RT-N66U?

Or is there a driver update from Intel that can fix this?
Asus has an Intel 14.1 driver listed on their site, should I try this?

Probably requires some adjustments to your router settings. Set them to a fixed channel, set bandwidth to 20/40 MHz for 5 GHz and 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz.

Also test while using an AC adapter to rule out any power saving features of your laptop.

First I had 2.4 GHz to 40 MHz and channel 1. speeds would vary like in my earlier post. I now set it to channel1, also tried 6, and 20 MHz, speed is now 130-144. At 40 MHz Insidder would show that one channel was dropped every few seconds.

Would updating the router firmware help. I'm still on 3.0.0.3.90.

There also seems to be a newer Intel diver.

First I had 2.4 GHz to 40 MHz and channel 1. speeds would vary like in my earlier post. I now set it to channel1, also tried 6, and 20 MHz, speed is now 130-144. At 40 MHz Insidder would show that one channel was dropped every few seconds.

Would updating the router firmware help. I'm still on 3.0.0.3.90.

There also seems to be a newer Intel diver.

150 Mbits is normal with 20 MHz.

Also do update the firmware. That version is quite old and a lot of bugs have since been fixed.

I have an Asus K53E laptop which also came with those weak Atheros cards. I replaced it with an inexpensive (23$) Intel Centrino 6230 internal card, which gave me dual band, dual stream, and Bluetooth. Well worth the upgrade, and easy to do as well since Asus does not use a card whitelist (like some companies do) to enforce only certain models of cards.

Thanks for the inspiration (and while I'm at it, for your firmware)!

I just put a Centrino 6300 in my Asus U31JG, and got twice the speed plus access to the 5 GHz band. My old Atheros card only had 1 antenna connection, but I found an additional unused plastic-protected antenna connection inside the laptop. Now I have ordered a third internal antenna from Oxfordtec, and am hoping I'll get a third stream. :)

It really couldn't be simpler. Pop the back cover of the laptop, pop the antenna wire, unscrew the mini-PCIe card, replace, reconnect, rescrew, install drivers, go.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!