What's new

Use WAN port as 5th LAN port on RT-AC3200?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

llucius

New Around Here
Is it possible to reassign the WAN port so that I can use it as a 5th LAN port? I'll be running on AC3200 in Media Bridge mode and would really like to have the 5th port.

With these types of quality routers, that feature is usually included, by either selecting AP mode or maybe Media Bridge too. My RT-N66U supports this feature, so I assume your router has the same feature, though I am not sure.

Not to pry, but the bigger question is why in the world would you want to use an AC3200 as a media bridge? Seems like a costly way to use a $400 wireless router....and you'll only be able to use one of the three radios....so it's a waste of the other two. Just sayin'.....there are far less expensive devices that can perform as a bridge just as well (and maybe even better).

Not to pry, but the bigger question is why in the world would you want to use an AC3200 as a media bridge? Seems like a costly way to use a $400 wireless router....and you'll only be able to use one of the three radios....so it's a waste of the other two. Just sayin'.....there are far less expensive devices that can perform as a bridge just as well (and maybe even better).

I'm redoing my entire network and, while my existing routers (3, all from different vendors), work well together using Tomato USB, I just don't have the time to hassle with too much. Probably wouldn't have any probs, but I figure my chances are even better with the same model for all 3. (Not saying that it's a guarantee, but what the heck.)

The one were I need 5 ports only needs wireless to get to the other two.

And I only paid $288 each.

I'm redoing my entire network and, while my existing routers (3, all from different vendors), work well together using Tomato USB, I just don't have the time to hassle with too much. Probably wouldn't have any probs, but I figure my chances are even better with the same model for all 3. (Not saying that it's a guarantee, but what the heck.)

The one were I need 5 ports only needs wireless to get to the other two.

And I only paid $288 each.

Right. I meant to say "$300 router" not $400.

Why don't you use the AC3200 as your main router, and then use something like cheap and reliable (e.g., AC 56U, 66U, WDMyACBridge, etc.) as the remote media bridge?

This is exactly what I'm doing. I have an AC3200 that is located upstairs in our home that serves our bedrooms and a study for both wired and wireless devices; downstairs, in our den, we've got a bunch of media devices (e.g.,, HTPC, Roku, etc) that are connected to an AC66U running as a media bridge. I too needed an extra LAN port from the media bridge and with the addition of a simple Netgear GigE switch, I added 8 more LAN ports (could have used a 5 port switch but the 8 was actually cheaper since it was on sale). I am also using a second AC66U in a more distant downstairs bedroom/office as a "repeater" to extend the 5ghz signal from the upper band 5hz channel from the AC3200. Also works great.

BTW, if you decide to use an AC66U as a media bridge, something interesting you'll want to pay attention to: Most people will tell you that Asus never quite worked out the bugs for media bridge mode. I'd noticed some odd behavior when using some of the older versions of firmware for the AC66U (both stock and Merlin), but with the latest Merlin FW 578.53, Media Bridge is working great. Solid as a rock (at least for me). Highly recommend it.

Finally, in another downstairs bedroom (where we have a Slingbox, Wii, a desktop PC, and a few other devices), I have a WD MyACBridge, which also works great. These are very cheap (about $50) but may be hard to find because they are discontinued. Not much flexibility in terms of settings, but then you don't need it to be flexible, just reliable and with solid throughput.

This is why I use only AC devices as media bridges, i.e., to get maximum throughput. Both the AC66U and the WD MyACBridge work great.

Right. I meant to say "$300 router" not $400.

Why don't you use the AC3200 as your main router, and then use something like cheap and reliable (e.g., AC 56U, 66U, WDMyACBridge, etc.) as the remote media bridge?

I probably should have, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and did 3 of the 3200s. And I was in a time crunch...the old routers are heading up to the in-laws, so I needed to get everything in order before the trip.

BTW, if you decide to use an AC66U as a media bridge, something interesting you'll want to pay attention to: Most people will tell you that Asus never quite worked out the bugs for media bridge mode. I'd noticed some odd behavior when using some of the older versions of firmware for the AC66U (both stock and Merlin), but with the latest Merlin FW 578.53, Media Bridge is working great. Solid as a rock (at least for me). Highly recommend it.

Really glad you mentioned that! I intended to run Merlin and now I have a good reason to, other than "just because". :)

I probably should have, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and did 3 of the 3200s. And I was in a time crunch...the old routers are heading up to the in-laws, so I needed to get everything in order before the trip.

Really glad you mentioned that! I intended to run Merlin and now I have a good reason to, other than "just because". :)

Whoa. You're going to run 3 AC3200's? Um....ok. I see no advantage to doing that. None. Seems sort of counterproductive to take a three-radio wireless router and turn it into a media bridge, thus using only one of the radios and disabling the other two. Really, what's the thinking about using three AC3200's? You do understand that when you set up a router in Media Bridge mode you can only receive a single channel from the router on the bridge, and you also lose any ability to use the wifi radios on the bridge to connect devices wirelessly to the bridge?

3 AC3200s? Would be cheaper to hire someone to come to your house and run Ethernet to wherever you need it!

3 AC3200s? Would be cheaper to hire someone to come to your house and run Ethernet to wherever you need it!

Completely agree. A bridge need not be that expensive or complicated. It's a waste of two perfectly good AC3200's IMHO.

Guess what? I'm using 3, yes count 'em, 3 AC3200s...OMG!!! I WASTED SO MUCH MONEY!
HANG THE B*STARD!!!

It's my money waste (I don't consider it a waste btw). Yes, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to have my house wired, but I have reasons not to do it.

You're certainly entitled to spend your money however you want. I personally wouldn't do what you're doing, and that's why I asked you what your thinking was about why you're using two AC3200's as bridges. No reason to get mad about it though. We're all free to do as we wish....I was just asking why you'd want to use two AC3200's as bridges rather than just get AC1900 routers (e.g., two 68's). Now if you want to have a discussion, great. If not, no reason to YELL at anyone.

Yeah, wired works better than wireless. But we can't all wire our homes, and like you, I also use extenders (two bridges and one repeater). I'm just curious about your choice for the bridges....that's all.

Sorry, most of that w
You're certainly entitled to spend your money however you want. I personally wouldn't do what you're doing, and that's why I asked you what your thinking was about why you're using two AC3200's as bridges. No reason to get mad about it though. We're all free to do as we wish....I was just asking why you'd want to use two AC3200's as bridges rather than just get AC1900 routers (e.g., two 68's). Now if you want to have a discussion, great. If not, no reason to YELL at anyone.

Yeah, wired works better than wireless. But we can't all wire our homes, and like you, I also use extenders (two bridges and one repeater). I'm just curious about your choice for the bridges....that's all.

Sorry, most of that was in jest. I found it just easier to get 3 of the same thing. I didn't want to worry about any incompatibilities and needed to get them set up quickly, so I didn't want to run into any differences in configuration.

I did (sort of) mention "why" in http://www.snbforums.com/threads/use-wan-port-as-5th-lan-port-on-rt-ac3200.24260/#post-180872 and http://www.snbforums.com/threads/use-wan-port-as-5th-lan-port-on-rt-ac3200.24260/#post-180906 above.

Normally I would love to take the time to tinker, just didn't have that luxury as the old routers are ear marked for someone else. :)

Oh, and this was posted via the 3 new 3200s.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!