What's new

use wifi as backup internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

junkone

Occasional Visitor
i have rogers cable and i am getting frequent disconnects. since i am a small time forex trader, i want to use a proper backup. currently i can setup my cell phone as hotspot and use the internet but i have to disconnect my ethernet cable before the hotspot is used.
i am using win7 on 1 machine and win 10 on another. how can i setup so the hotspot is used seemlessly wihtout disconnecting the enternet cable as a fallback plan?

This is an ideal use case for a multi-wan router. When the primary line drops, the second one fails over automatically. But various models have various cutover delays so research this before buying. Good luck! There's a lot of great products out there for this application.

Also might be worth contacting your ISP about a business class plan with better reliability goals.

If Rogers is anything like the cable companies I've dealt with, their business and residential services only really differ on the price, ie if you're having problems with one you'll have problems with the other too.

But if a second ISP is available and you get a multiwan router like the Cisco rv016 that can handle 2+ wan connections, you could actually have 2 backups, or even change to the other provider with the cell as the backup.