What's new

Using ATA with RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammyano

Regular Contributor
Hello guys, just got my shinning new RT-AC66U and wondering if someone can point me to the right direction of using my WRP400 as ATA only
with Asus RT-AC66U as wireless router, so I can contiue using my VOIP. Previously the WRP400 has been my router & ATA.
Below is my setup -

Modem - In Bridged Mode [Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN port]
Asus RT-AC66u - Connected the the modem via WAN port - Router IP Address - 192.168.14.1
WRP400 - Router IP Address - 192.168.16.1
Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN port to LAN port -
DHCP Server - disabled
Wireless disabled
SIP Firewall enabled
NAT enabled

With the above settings I can access the internet OK, but my phone does not work anymore.
Please advise to what the correct settings should be in both devices. PS - still want to be able to access WRP400 settings page!

thanks in advance.
Sammyano

Modem - In Bridged Mode [Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN port]
Asus RT-AC66u - Connected the the modem via WAN port - Router IP Address - 192.168.14.1
WRP400 - Router IP Address - 192.168.16.1
Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN port to LAN port -
DHCP Server - disabled
Wireless disabled
SIP Firewall enabled
NAT enabled
Hi,

First two areas questions:
- Is the IP address of the CISCO device really .16.1? What is the WAN address of the CISCO? Can you put the CICSC into a bridged mode? This would allow to be on the same subnet as the ASUS.
- Does the CISCO support phone over NAT? Maybe there is configuration needed (or the birdged mode will help). :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

First two areas questions:
- Is the IP address of the CISCO device really .16.1? What is the WAN address of the CISCO? Can you put the CICSC into a bridged mode? This would allow to be on the same subnet as the ASUS.
- Does the CISCO support phone over NAT? Maybe there is configuration needed (or the birdged mode will help). :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

I changed the WRP400 to .16.1
There is no option in the settings to put into Bridge mode
Lastly, I think it does support phone over NAS, because the NAS was enabled and phone working when i was using it as both router and ATA before buying the RT-AC66U
cheers -

A coworker has a similar setup and the easiest way was to put the ATA back to default settings...connect it back to the one of the Asus router lan ports and let it grab an IP...then once that's done place the ATA ip that it grabbed into the ASUS DMZ zone...bingo works perfect for the last year. Make sure you either assign a static IP from the DHCP scope of the ASUS or do a DHCP reservation based on the IP the ATA device grabbed so that if a reboot is required it grabs the same address and the dmz setting remains correct.

A coworker has a similar setup and the easiest way was to put the ATA back to default settings...connect it back to the one of the Asus router lan ports and let it grab an IP...then once that's done place the ATA ip that it grabbed into the ASUS DMZ zone...bingo works perfect for the last year. Make sure you either assign a static IP from the DHCP scope of the ASUS or do a DHCP reservation based on the IP the ATA device grabbed so that if a reboot is required it grabs the same address and the dmz setting remains correct.

When say back to default settings - do mean to leave all these enabled on WRP400 -

DHCP Sever -
Wireless
NAT
SIP Firewall

When say back to default settings - do mean to leave all these enabled on WRP400 -

DHCP Sever -
Wireless
NAT
SIP Firewall

For ease of setup if you haven't followed what you did during testing is to reset to factory which is what I do when I lose track of what I've done :)...then turn off all router and wireless features so that it's a basically dumb ATA switch like the settings you've mentioned above...anything not needed for VOIP turn off...just let it grab an ip from the asus and then place that IP in the asus DMZ.

For ease of setup if you haven't followed what you did during testing is to reset to factory which is what I do when I lose track of what I've done :)...then turn off all router and wireless features so that it's a basically dumb ATA switch like the settings you've mentioned above...anything not needed for VOIP turn off...just let it grab an ip from the asus and then place that IP in the asus DMZ.

Should it be set up with Static IP address within asus router range
OR leave as Automatic Assignment [DHCP] and then turn off all router related functions > then add the static IP in asus DMZ?

thanks

This is how I would do it so that it always gets the same IP and I never have to worry about configuring manually the wrp device.

1. Setup the WRP400 to use automatic DHCP assignment and turn off ALL router functions
2. Go to the ASUS router and find the IP it's been assigned and use DHCP reservation to assign that IP everytime to the wrp based upon its MAC address
3. Add that IP to the DMZ zone of the Asus router
4. Done and enjoy :)

Cheers atkinsom - will give it a go after work and report back. thanks for your time

This is how I would do it so that it always gets the same IP and I never have to worry about configuring manually the wrp device.

1. Setup the WRP400 to use automatic DHCP assignment and turn off ALL router functions
2. Go to the ASUS router and find the IP it's been assigned and use DHCP reservation to assign that IP everytime to the wrp based upon its MAC address
3. Add that IP to the DMZ zone of the Asus router
4. Done and enjoy :)

Guys - after setting the above to work with my VOIP, which of course is now working. The problem now is that I cannot access the WRP400 configuration page. Below is my configurations
AC66U - Router IP Address is 192.168.14.1
IP Pool start from 192.168.14.3 - 192.168.14.255
WRP400 - Connected from WAN port to LAN port of AC66U
Set to automatic IP Address, so it gets it's IP from AC66U
Router LAN IP - 192.168.14.2
Getway = 192.168.14.1
DNS 1 = 192.168.14.1
DNS 2 = 208.67.222.222
Wireless = disabled
DHCP = disabled
Firewall = disabled
NAT = diabled
So with the above am not able to access the WRP400 GUI - 192.168.14.2 using wired to laptop

Last edited:
Can some please advise if there are any ports required for VOIP on Merlin's latest FW. I am having trouble making my phone work.

no it should work as long as your putting the ip into the dmz location that the asus router assigned it...works for me with other devices I have...try rebooting the asus router..dmz is exactly that...wide open...

Last edited:
Maybe am doing something wrong, here

Modem -
Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN to WAN

RT-AC66U -
Connected to WRP400 Cisco router/ATA via LAN to LAN
Changed default IP address to 192.168.14.1
Added Default Gateway under LAN settings as 192.168.14.1
Added to DMZ of WRP400 default IP which was changed to 192.168.14.2
Added port forwarding 5060-5061

WRP400 -
Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN to LAN
Automation configuration -DHCP selected under Internet Setup
Network Setup - Default IP Address = 192.168.14.2
DHCP server = Enabled
NAT = Enabled
SIP Firewall = enabled
Wireless = Disabled

With the above settings, If I go into WRP400 status page the Internet Connection sections shows -
nternet IP Address : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

Please would appreciate your input

Cheers

Had your updated your Firmware? That would be the first thing to do before trying to set your VOIP up. You can either use Merlin or stock Firmware.

Maybe am doing something wrong, here

Modem -
Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN to WAN

RT-AC66U -
Connected to WRP400 Cisco router/ATA via LAN to LAN
Changed default IP address to 192.168.14.1
Added Default Gateway under LAN settings as 192.168.14.1
Added to DMZ of WRP400 default IP which was changed to 192.168.14.2
Added port forwarding 5060-5061

WRP400 -
Connected to RT-AC66U via LAN to LAN
Automation configuration -DHCP selected under Internet Setup
Network Setup - Default IP Address = 192.168.14.2
DHCP server = Enabled
NAT = Enabled
SIP Firewall = enabled
Wireless = Disabled

With the above settings, If I go into WRP400 status page the Internet Connection sections shows -
nternet IP Address : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

Please would appreciate your input

Cheers

Guys, please can someone help me sort this issue out - thanks

Please see image below as illustrated by my coworker...not the exact same device but doesn't matter. He says there's nothing to do with the wrp400 device. Reset it to factory and don't worry about anything else for now. Make sure that the WAN setting on the wrp400 is set to dhcp so that it grabs an IP from the LAN portion of the ASUS. Then place that IP it grabbed into the DMZ of the ASUS. Get it working that way first then worry about static IP's and other settings. WAN port of wrp400 to available LAN port of the ASUS. This is all I can give you as I don't really have one setup but coworker says it works perfectly.

Attachments

• modem-router-pap2t-phone.jpg
    modem-router-pap2t-phone.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,138
Last edited:
Please see image below as illustrated by my coworker...not the exact same device but doesn't matter. He says there's nothing to do with the wrp400 device. Reset it to factory and don't worry about anything else for now. Make sure that the WAN setting on the wrp400 is set to dhcp so that it grabs an IP from the LAN portion of the ASUS. Then place that IP it grabbed into the DMZ of the ASUS. Get it working that way first then worry about static IP's and other settings. WAN port of wrp400 to available LAN port of the ASUS. This is all I can give you as I don't really have one setup but coworker says it works perfectly.

Thanks - using the above steps - I can now longer access the web interface of wrp400. Note that both are on the same subnet as I stated on my last comment

Hello - after setting the above to work with my VOIP, which of course is now working. The problem now is that I cannot access the WRP400 configuration page. Below is my configurations
AC66U - Router IP Address is 192.168.14.1
IP Pool start from 192.168.14.3 - 192.168.14.255
WRP400 - Connected from WAN port to LAN port of AC66U
Set to automatic IP Address, so it gets it's IP from AC66U
Router LAN IP - 192.168.14.2
Getway = 192.168.14.1
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
DNS 1 = 192.168.14.1
DNS 2 = 208.67.222.222
Wireless = disabled
DHCP = disabled
Firewall = disabled
NAT = diabled
So with the above am not able to access the WRP400 GUI - 192.168.14.2 using wired to laptop

Last edited: