What's new

using Powerline or moca for downstairs wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jasenet76213

New Around Here
My problem is I'm trying to get a wifi signal to the first floor of the house.

Can i plug a second wifi router into a powerline or moca so that i can get a wifi signal downstairs. Im in a 2 level Condo home.

Getting a cat 6 wire downstairs is impossible, already tried it.
So what I'm planning to do is plug my existing wifi router which is connected to the cable router upstairs into a powerline adapter or Moca, and then use a second powerline or moca adapter downstairs and plug another wifi router into that. Will that work? and will that get me a strong internet signal on the first floor.

I have attached a diagram to make clear what I'm describing.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 315
Yes, you can do exactly as you describe in the picture. If whatever router you put downstairs supports configuration as an access point, do that. Else, turn off every option you can for routing and firewalling, turn off the DHCP server. Basically, make it as dumb as possible, while leaving wireless on. You'll then plug one of the LAN switch ports into the powerline device.

MOCA can work very well. Works best with CATV not so well with Satellite TV. Also you may need to replace any existing splitters. CATV splitters generally only will pass 900 Mhz. You need 2- 3 Ghz splitters.

Just to be clear (I'm considering this as well...) plug the powerline into LAN???
Yep. Just be sure that everything else on that router is disabled so it will act as an access point only. Otherwise, you'll have problems like two dhcp servers on the same network...

Yep. Just be sure that everything else on that router is disabled so it will act as an access point only. Otherwise, you'll have problems like two dhcp servers on the same network...

see the topic on how to re-purpose a WiFi router as an Access Point - in the BASICs on the home page of SmallNetBuilder

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!