What's new

Verizon G3100 vs my trusty AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
I'm upgrading to gigabit and was told I would be getting a new G3100 router. I've been using my ac68u as a router for years without issue.

Does anyone know how the range/stability compares between the G3100 and the ac68u? Thanks.

I'm upgrading to gigabit and was told I would be getting a new G3100 router. I've been using my ac68u as a router for years without issue.

Does anyone know how the range/stability compares between the G3100 and the ac68u? Thanks.

You'll find out soon. Presumably the new router will be more suitable for Gigabit service.

OE

I'd suggest time to upgrade to the true 68u successor the rt-ax88u... Quad core 64 bit 1.8ghz and 1 gig of ram vs the 256mb on the 68u...the 68u is 5+ years old. I just updated and it's a massive difference.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

You'll have to test it side by side but I would not waste my time.

The downside, to Verizon router, is that its locked, you cant do anything with it like you can with AC68U router with custom firmware.

I highly recommend, you send the Verizon router back and run a LAN cable directly from FiOS ONT box to AC68U router instead of using COAX cable. Make sure you use a proper shielded CAT6 LAN cable. The thicker the better. Thick/FAT LAN cables, tend to have proper shielding, so you can achieve full speeds while keeping interference away, that slows the speeds down.
You will pay a bit upfront, but its worth it in the long run. So don't cheap out on the LAN cable..EVER.

FIOS ONT box has a LAN port, but you need to call Verizon and have them activate the LAN port so you can use your own router and not use COAX cable.

G3100 router costs $300 and for $300 you can buy a really nice, new or used Gigabit router (No wifi) and connect your AC68U router to it. Then connect additional devices to the none wifi router on your home network and you will get much better lan/wan speeds vs using over priced Verizon $300 router that costs 1/6 to make.

One example would be decent a used Cisco gigabit router with 4 lan ports. Lots of options under $300 on eBay.

Do your research. Not all routers are equal. I recommend Cisco, because.. well.... its Cisco. Their 10 year old routers and switches, are at the top of the food chain.

To be clear, you don't have to buy a gigabit router, if you intend to keep your home network as simple as possible. Just run a LAN cable from ONT to AC68U and you are done. But call Verizon to have them activate the LAN port.
ONT box, is the box thats attached to your house on the outside. Incase you didn't know. You can open it and there is a LAN port. It might be inside your house or inside your garage.
Location of ONT box varies from house to house, State to state, county, etc. For example, my friends townhouse came with a switch that was installed by a builder in the garage, that built his town house and all the townhouses in his community.

Do your research . Let me know if you have any questions and ill try to help.

P.S.
You can find more info on the topic at this forum. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

Last edited:
I used my 68U for about a year with my gigabit service. It had no issues hitting 940 Mbps both ways across the WAN interface with CTF enabled albeit with one core of the cpu pretty much pegged at 100%. I had someone interested in buying my 68U so I took that opportunity to upgrade to the 86U. I suggest giving the 68U a try. If you do decide to upgrade my recommendation would be the 86U at this point in time unless you have AX clients. Let AX mature one more generation before jumping in. My opinion, there will be others :)

I agree 100% with @KGB7 that if you have the option to go right from the ONT to the router then that is the way to go.

I dont have a ax/wifi6 device and I upgraded to the ax88u... My signal and way better on 2.4 and 5ghz plus, going from a dual core to a quad core 1.8ghz cpu and a gig of ram.... It's the new ac68u the true successor in every way.

Whats the benefit of 100 cores if they arent used? Maybe with merlin and VPN, but otherwise???

Whats the benefit of 100 cores if they arent used? Maybe with merlin and VPN, but otherwise???
Faster lan transfer/faster scripts... I mean we have 16 core cpus... You sound like a intel supporter...You'll never need more than 4 cores. You don't need hyper threading. Who doesn't want the best performance?

It's not that I dont like it but you should watch if it is used by firmware when it is needed ;)
Yes it is the same with Windows when a program uses only a single core.

I'm running 5 scripts from amtm... Couldn't do that on my old trusty ac68u... I can definitely tell the difference.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!