What's new

Video calling tool gets jumpy when another device starts up YouTube

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Feldon

New Around Here
I have a DIR-850L, with a new/fast Windows 7 desktop computer connected via ethernet to it. I also have some wireless clients including a couple phones, an original iPad, a cheap android tablet and an old Ubuntu desktop. Our internet is a solid 30Mbps/10Mbps.

My wife uses the Windows 7 desktop to perform remote therapy over the internet. She uses a proprietary browser-based video calling tool. The same Windows 7 desktop is also hosting a Plex Media Server.

Issue: If someone on a wireless device tries to access YouTube (over the internet) or Plex (simply over our network), my wife's video call will get jumpy. Is there any way to prevent this?

Some other comments:
- I have enabled QOS in the router, but I don't see bandwidth being an issue.
- The proprietary video calling tool is a pretty serious memory hog (lots of leaks I think), but we have 8GB of ram, and I don't see how a memory problem on the desktop is suddenly impacted by a wireless device starting up a YouTube video.

I have a DIR-850L, with a new/fast Windows 7 desktop computer connected via ethernet to it. I also have some wireless clients including a couple phones, an original iPad, a cheap android tablet and an old Ubuntu desktop. Our internet is a solid 30Mbps/10Mbps.

My wife uses the Windows 7 desktop to perform remote therapy over the internet. She uses a proprietary browser-based video calling tool. The same Windows 7 desktop is also hosting a Plex Media Server.

Issue: If someone on a wireless device tries to access YouTube (over the internet) or Plex (simply over our network), my wife's video call will get jumpy. Is there any way to prevent this?

Some other comments:
- I have enabled QOS in the router, but I don't see bandwidth being an issue.
- The proprietary video calling tool is a pretty serious memory hog (lots of leaks I think), but we have 8GB of ram, and I don't see how a memory problem on the desktop is suddenly impacted by a wireless device starting up a YouTube video.
We will just discuss the Plex part. The fact that the Plex server is on the desktop (what is the CPU?) used by your wife is not very good... I don't know what is on the plex server (just music, music and videos ?), but if someone in house is streaming a video, and Plex has to transcode on the fly the video for the client device used by that person, that could be the end of it, depending on the CPU of the desktop. Therefore that could have nothing to do with the wireless capacity. By the way, I use Plex.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!