What's new

VLAN, DMZ vs. Virtual Server Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrlewp87

New Around Here
Currently have a Belkin (F7d2301) wired LAN to WAN from primary Gateway router- Sagemcom4320. I DO want a subnet, in hopes of reducing load on Sgcm which is wired to our streaming web video/TV devices. But now looking for best means of removing Double NAT concerns. The Belkin is wired to a desktop, printer and little used web video streamer.

DMZ ?- the Belkins NAT/ firewall should negate security concerns, true? And, would I expect good working results when later on, adding a wireless AP to the Belkin? Via LAN to LAN Ethernet cable.

VLAN ?- Sounds good. But how? Expected results vs. other 2 ways?

Virtual Server ?- actually on that setup now. Had no idea how to choose a Port no.!? Belkin is set up in Sagemcom's -Advanced/ ?/ virtual server section. I chose Port 80. Early speedtest results were horrible!! Then later in the day returned to normal for here- near 6 mbps. (DSL) Also near best results this morning.
Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!