What's new

Questions on my GoCoax 2.5 Adapter Install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am getting consistent speeds of 930-940 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up - I pay for a 800/20 Xfinity plan.
Nice. Pleasant when things work as designed.

As an aside, I also noticed that my cable modem signals are fantastic for both downstream and upstream power levels, all within optimal ranges within spec and no error log entries.
Good result, given the concern over how the addition of the splitters for the MoCA setup might affect the modem’s signal levels and connectivity. Plus the future-proofing for DOCSIS 3.1+ signals above 1002 MHz.

the telephone jack in my first floor living room (where one of my Orbi satellites is located) only has CAT 5 and not CAT5e cabling behind it. Since I won't be able to maximize Gigabit speeds there, I decided not to add a port and let it be.
Repeating the recommendation that all cables be upgraded to “data” connections with RJ45 termination, leaving how they’re utilized a flexible, simple matter of jumpering at the central panel.

Further, some people have had success achieving 2.5 GbE throughput over Cat5 (non-“e”), so don’t exclude the possibility. (one such thread) I wouldn’t give up on it without re-terminating the line and seeing what it’s capable of using iPerf3 or a similar LAN speed testing utility.

And then there’s your closing suggestion offering a reason to get the Cat5 available as a network connection:
Or I can keep them all in place with this hybrid mix of ethernet/MoCA to have an additional ethernet plug in capability.

Nice work. And thanks for the update.

You are totally right!

I had a few minutes last night and just for kicks, I went ahead and terminated both ends of the CAT 5 cable with keystones and I got similar consistent speeds of 920-930 Mbps down and 22-23 up, just like the other CAT5e cables I've terminated. Honestly, I expected a dip in speeds regardless but was pleasantly surprised.

I think the other thing that also worked in my favor was that the specific CAT 5 cable run from the closest to the wall jack in my living room was under 40 ft (~12m). Now, I didn't use iPerf but just the Ookla Speed Test but still am happy yet surprised that it could achieve/maintain those speeds, knowing the noted "max 100 Mbps speed limitation" that I've heard all along for CAT 5 cable.

I'm waiting for my 8 port switch to come then I'll hook everything up to make each ethernet port I've setup active and live :)

Last edited:
Yes, the short distance of the cable run was in your favor.

Just a quick update - I have installed my 8 port switch in the closet and now have 5 active ethernet ports converted from telephone jacks. Using Speed Test, I am getting consistent ethernet speeds of 930-940 Mbps down and 23.5 up (on an Xfinity 800/20 plan) when I tested each of the 5 ports. This makes a total of 4 rooms upstairs and my living room downstairs having an additional place to plug in for internet.

My MoCA adapters are still in the mix as well to maintain a wired backhaul for my Orbi satellites.

All is good and am happy with the outcome - in addition to getting a good quality signal from the ISP to the cable modem. Kudos to @krkaufman for guiding me through this process and all of his wisdom - thank you!!

now have 5 active ethernet ports converted from telephone jacks. Using Speed Test, I am getting consistent ethernet speeds of 930-940 Mbps down and 23.5 up (on an Xfinity 800/20 plan) when I tested each of the 5 ports.
Nice! Thanks for the followup/closure.

Curious... What speed test are you using to assess the throughput? (I'm getting unsatisfactory results after upgrading to a Comcast 1000/20 plan, as a test.)

Thanks! Using Ookla's speed test connected to my personal laptop that I bought back in 2019, using a CAT6 cable.

I've used that speed test for Wi-Fi as well, both on that same laptop and on through the Ookla Speed Test app on my iPhone. Across the board, that tests have generally produced consistent speeds.