What's new

VPN client in a Guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kritiker

Occasional Visitor
Greetings:

Is it possible to configure one of the Guest Networks to connect automatically with a remote proxy server, e.g., to have it automatically use a Cyberghost VPN connection, for all its traffic without affecting traffic using the other main/guest accounts? Is it possible to configure the guest (or main) accounts to each use, or not use, one or more proxy servers? Or can the router act as only a single VPN client?

If what I want is possible, can anyone point me to the needed settings?

I am hoping make it easy for all computers signing on to this guest access point to use the proxy server automatically and eventually to be able to route traffic through one of several proxies merely by logging my device on to the appropriatly configured guest SSID.

PS I thought I had read something about this last year but have been unable to find it again.

Thanks.
[Edited for clarity.]

Last edited:
Or, in other words, can I apply a VPN Client profile to a single Guest SSID or must the profile be used (or not used) by all traffic through the router, for all SSIDs associated with it?

I.e., as per the article How to setup SSID for VPN and SSID for Regular ISP using OpenVPN on github,
I want to dedicate an SSID for a VPN.

I'll follow the directions there and see how far I get. Now that I have the proper terminilogy for what I want I should have better luck finding what I need.

I just found what I had found here last year, namely, How to setup SSID for VPN and SSID for Regular ISP using MerlinWRT.

Last edited:
And were you successful?

That thread seems brief. The wiki seems to breeze over some steps, so I haven't tried it yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!