What's new

VPN tunnel passthrough error with Avaya ip phone on netgear c700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hk85

New Around Here
I have the netgear c7000 modem/router and have been working from home on vpn using this without any problems for a week. I have cable internet through time warner cable (earthlink high speed)The IT guy came yesterday to set me up with an avaya 9650 ip telephone because I don't have a home phone line. The phone would not connect when plugged into the c7000, it showed vpn tunnel failure. Then the phone said discovering and had some numbers.

I've tried restarting the phone, modem, etc. The firmeware is up to date I believe. Then I plugged the phone into my 3 year old belkin router and then plugged the belkin router into the c7000 and the phone works. It seems like there is a setting somewhere that needs to be checked in order for the c7000 to work with the phone?

I checked under settings, WAN set up and tried to disable SIP, then saved and restarted my phone to see if this would help but it didn't. in the advanced settings of the router, there is no VPN set up.

The IT guy was clueless. I really don't want to take this modem/router back but it seems like i may have to in order to be able to use the phone. Are there any other options for me?

The error message details say "Ike Phase 1 no response." A message was not received from the vpn gateways in response to the message sent by the phone. Another cause may be that a phase 1 parameter is not set correctly, causing hte VPN gateway to ignore the message from the phone. Resolutions: Either the vpn gateway is experiencing difficulties or network congestion is interfering with communication. And then it lists some ike phase 1 parameters to check for compatability. I don't really understand any of this...

Not having direct experience with the Avaya IP phone, but this sounds like either an expired certificate on the phone or a provisioning issue with the remote VOIP GW on other end of the tunnel..

To be clear, the phone doesn't communicate with the router at all. When I go int the router settings and view the log there use no dhcp failure, nothing at all with the phone's mac address attached to it.