What's new

Does Merlin protect against these Vulnerabilities?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

railroader66

Occasional Visitor
Hello, are we also protected for this vulnerabilitys with the latest Merlin updates :

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45717
- Fixed DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed AiCloud vulnerability. Thanks for Matt Cundari's contribution.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability. Thanks for S1mba Lu's contribution.
- Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability. Thanks for Javier Aguinaga's contribution.

Regards,

while that may look like Merlin is a bit behind Asus, there are aspects to this firmware that are ahead of the stock version. quite a bit ahead of it, actually.

Many thanks for the answer , im new and don't understand much about routers , is Merlin safer than the Asus drivers ?

I’m of a mind to say yes: the level of customization that can be applied -especially with scripts like diversion and skynet- can plug a good deal if not most of the little holes malicious actors like to explore for their exploits. So, Merlin does a better job of giving you the tools to protect the devices and users on your network than Asus’ stock firmware. If that makes it safer from your perspective, and this is what you’re looking for, then you should make the change, and then start to investigate how to take the steps to use the tools to protect your network and it’s users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is Merlin safer than the Asus drivers ?

We're both developped in parallel, so there's no real answer to this. Asus will issue a new release with their own fixes, and it will be safer than mine. Then I will issue a release including their fixes on top of my own, and then I'll become more secure than them.

The bottom line is: we both provide security updates. Sometimes an issue is fixed in only one of the two. Other times, the fix will come first in one, and later in the other. So in the end, neither is probably "more" secure than the other. The important thing is that we both provide security updates quite regularly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!