What's new

Wall Mounting RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kahalakin

New Around Here
This might sound a little bit silly, but has anyone wall mounted their RT-N66U???

My desk is running out of space and I thought mounting the router might do some trick.

So here's my question, what type (and size) of screws should I get?

I tried to hang it with the ones I already have, but, unfortunately, the head was too wide and also too thick. :(

Any recommendation or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There is no provision on the router for wall mounting. It does come with a stand that you can put on the back, and then the router sits almost vertically, just slightly inclined. That might solve your problem since it takes very little desk space and runs cooler that way.

I know what you mean, though. I keep my router on the top of the bookshelf on the back of my computer desk partly for that reason as well, my desk real estate is at a premium (and that also gets it up in the air a bit and away from my computers, modem, etc. as well, which helps *smile*).

If you do try to wall mount it, there are vent holes on the back, so you'll most likely want to space it away from the wall enough so that there's room for air to circulate behind it. Using the stand that comes with it does this as well, allows air to circulate along the back of the router.

Thanks for the advice. I almost forgot about the vent on the back!

I'm still looking for the screws that will get the job done.

Last edited:
I wall mounted both of my RT-N66Us sideways with the antennas pointing to the right. It works great for hot air flow ventilation and the Ethernet cables, USB and power wiring coming out sideways is much more aesthetically pleasing. I drilled holes in the wall just large enough for plastic socket mounts for screws and then I put nails in those plastic in wall mounts instead of screws.

I had a difficult time trying to find screw heads that were small enough and I found some plastic anchor mounts for screws that were small enough to hold the medium sized nails firmly in place. Take your router to the hardware store with you and find the right size nails and while you are there find the right sized plastic mounts that the nails with fit snug with. If you can find the right sized screws with right sized wall anchor mounts then go with those.

Notes: I stuck white electrical tape to the back of the router over the mounting holes and marked the center of the mounting holes with a black permanent marker onto the tape. Then I approximated the position I wanted the router to be on the wall. My top router is mounted about four and a half to five feet high from the floor with all three of the antennas extended straight out to the right are about two inches from the wall corner. Of course you can mount the router sideways to the left if you want.

After holding the router up to the wall with antennas fully extended to determine the position I wanted it in... I drilled the first top hole (for side mounting) into the wall and then inserted the plastic screw mount in and drilled the hole wider until it fit all the way. I lightly hammered the plastic anchor mount until it's mostly flush into the wall. Then I lightly hammered the nail in and tested the router hanging position on the nail while holding it. Then I removed the router and the nail from the plastic mount hole and used the pre-marked tape to line up over the top hole and with the tape hanging down while eying it to be straight... I marked the second bottom hole on the wall as it was marked on the tape. Instead of tape you can use string instead if you want but marking tape was easier for me to get it exact.

The nails should be mostly snug where you can tap them closer to the wall lightly with a hammer...or pull them back out...so that you can adjust how far out they extend. You don't want play between the router and the wall. If the nails are too loose when when you try to mount the router they will push them into the wall as you are trying to find the router's mounting holes so make sure you find the right plastic mounts to work with the nails you use. You can lightly hammer the bottom nail up or down to get both nails to exactly fit into the routers mounting holes. The other way to avoid using nails is to just find the right sized screws with small enough screw heads. I gave up trying to find the right screw to use . I am sure they exist somewhere in some hardware store.

Last edited:
I just digged into my box full of screws and found the right size ;)
You have to spend some time to mark the holes at the right position.

Note that you have to play a bit with the antenna's, according to some tests it can improve your wireless speed considerably. I have all antenna's straight up.

I sort of wall mounted it on the frame of my desk(Ikea Jerker).
The screws of the desk were too big so instead of going out and buying a couple of screws that fit I dremeled off the included stand, drilled two holes, screwed it against the desk and mounted the router.
I didn't have plans on using the stand the way it was supposed to be used.

2 options

After my googling, about 5-10 min. Here's what you can do.

If you wanna go all out you can get the mount 3d printed. This looks pretty sweet, as it has a gap for air flow as well.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:98590

I opted to go another direction, since I don't own a 3d printer, and I don't wanna pay and go through the trouble of sourcing it out to get printed.

So for me, my hack was I made use of the included stand. Preferable, since it has the perfect fit. But what I did was I cut away the bottom part, right where the joint begins to curve. Afterwards, what I have is a flat piece that I can easily stick to the wall with some 3m stickies.

kfro.jpg

Easy peezy, no need to drill holes, and also leaves a gap from the wall for air flow.

On a side note, I used a soldering iron to melt/cut through the plastic. I actually hammered the soldering tip flat, so it will be more like a knife.

Be wary of the fumes from melting plastic.

The heat these routers produce will make quick work of 3M stickies, your router will be on the floor in no time at all!

I attached my router to the wall using two long nails and the metal cup of those small candles as spacer to keep good air flow

candle-2832474.jpg

1) Buy two (or more) of these candles
2) Use them till there is no wax or remove it manually
3) Open a hole in the middle of the cup where the nail will pass through. Be gentle as if you use too much force the cup will be crushed.
4) Put a cup on the wall and a nail to attach it firmly. Don't push the nail all the way in but leave some space so that you can hang router. Again be gentle as you don't want to crush the cup

I have kept my router attached to the wall for long time and never had problems