What's new

Want to reach 200 Mbps through Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shidosh

New Around Here
Hi,

(Apologize if my English is bad, I am a French native speaker :))

First of all, let me explain you the situation:
I switched from ATT to TWC and was surprised to discover that I was able to access up to 300 Mbps.
I decided to select the Extreme package and got 200 Mbps.

Currently, I have an Arris DG1670 (3x3:3@2.4 GHz and 3x3:3@5GHz MIMO with Beamforming) as TWC WiFi Cable Modem Router.
And as the Arris is not close to my desktop, I had two choices: use wireless or add a 16 ft cable.
Unfortunately, my wife was not agree to have a wire running all around the wall, so I had to use wireless.

I have been able to connect through wireless my Asus RT-AC66U to the Arris. Using speedtest.net, I was able to have (sometimes) 100-110 Mbps, but it is far from my maximal speed which is 200 Mbps if I use a wire.

My network was like this:
Arris<~~Wireless~~>RT-AC66U<--Wire-->Desktop

As the Asus couldn't work at full speed, I decided to "update" my network to have better wireless connection.
(Btw, a 14-16 ft cable will fix the problem but my wife will enrage, so I have to spend a lot of money to satisfy here. :p).
I ordered on Newegg this WE a R6300v2 and an EX6200.
I know that the EX6200 is a bit too much, but I wanted something that could work if I move my office in another room and extend the wireless if needed.

I received everything yesterday, did the install and was very disappointed.
A speedtest from my Desktop using the install wasn't able to go higher than 20 Mbps !
The R6300v2 being close to the Arris, I cannot understand that.
I tested all the cable everything was fine.
By connecting the EX6200 to the Arris, I was able to get 100+Mbps but never reached higher than 120Mbps.

I sent an email to Netgear support to understand the issue (which should come from the R6300V2).
FYI, My link rate between the EX6200 and the R6300v2 is at 866 Mbps with a signal strength of -33 dBm (almost optimal).
If the issue is not fixed before this WE, I will probably return everything.

Here is my question, can I hope to find something that will allow me to be as close as possible from the 200Mbps using wireless ? What are the best options ?

Thank you for your help.

Your English is fine, Shidosh.

First, you know the EX6200 is 2x2, not 3x3?

The RT-AC66U should be fully capable of reaching 200 Mbps with a strong signal and with a 3x3 client / bridge.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/graph/119-5-ghz-profile-dn/1140-asus-rtac66u

I am unclear of your test setups and whether there are any walls between the router and bridge. I am assuming you are using 5 GHz.

Make sure you use WPA2/AES encryption and WMM is enabled (should be by default).

Make sure you are using 80 MHz bandwidth mode.

Put at least 2m between router and bridge so that you don't overload the receivers.

Hi Thiggins,

Thank you for your reply.
I am far to be a wireless expert :).
Sorry if I didn't clearly explained the experimental protocol but I didn't want to write a too long message.

There is no wall and everything is in the same room.

What will be your recommendation ?
I can return all the Netgear stuff and get a 3x3 bridge, but which one will be the best ? Just another RT-AC66U or something else?

Thanks,
Jerome

Hide the wire behind the walls baseboard. Just be careful when nailing it back down. They also make very thin plastic conduit that you can attach and the wire will be inside out of sight. Paint to match. It even has 90 degree inside and outside bends for the corners. It has tape attached on the back side for attaching.

Hi,

Thank you everybody for the advises.
FYI, I am now able to reach 213 Mbps without problem.
The DG1670 has 2 frequencies 2GHz and 5GHz and I had my RT-ac66u and my Nexus5 on the 5GHz and all the other stuff on the 2 GHz.
By switching my Nexus5 to the 2GHz and by having only the RT-ac66u on the 5GHz, I am now able to reach the speed that I wanted.
As the link rate is at Link rate 450 Mbps, both are working over 802.11n which is fine for me.
So, i won't need to buy new stuff for the moment, which is a good thing :)