What's new

WD My Book World Edition

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My BookWorld unit disappeared from my network a few days ago. I've removed the drive (single TB drive) and connected it to a Windows PC. It sees the partitions as "Unknown." I found a driver for Linux filesystems under Windows, assuming the drive was Linux, or at least Linux-ish, still "Unknown."

Anybody ever been able to just hook one of these up and read it? I have to get to some stuff on it. This drive was the backup to another failed system.
The MyBook Worlds use the HFS+ filesystem. You'd probably be able to read it from a MacOS system. Or you can try HFS Explorer or MacDrive. Google for others.

WD World Book - Another one

After taking apart my world book (1TB World Edition II) and look it over, it appears the main problem is heat. There is a little 2-2.5 inch fan to cool the 2 drives (WD5000AAJS), and needless to say the drives get very hot - especially any drive running at 7200RPM in that enclosure. It is a wonder they didn't have even more failures.

I attempted to replace my A drive which had failed, but after replacing the drives that was a doomed effort. The power switch no longer functions (no clue why, it is a simple solenoid affair surrounded by LEDs) but I am guessing that has to do with it not recognizing the drives or something. These days NAS/SAN drive enclosures are relatively inexpensive so if I don't use the new drives in a PC I will just toss them in a new external drive box. It is pretty disappointing though that the unit failed in less then 2 years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!