What's new

What is b/g protection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Santa

Occasional Visitor
IN the wireless general tab I have an option in the wireless mode that says b/g protection. What does it do? Do I need it on or off if I only have iPhone 6 and macbooks?

IN the wireless general tab I have an option in the wireless mode that says b/g protection. What does it do? Do I need it on or off if I only have iPhone 6 and macbooks?
Don't quote me on this because without looking anything up this is my best guess as to what it is for.... The old b/g routers and devices didn't have the same wireless protocols protecting from interference with other wireless networks. I believe b/g protection is used as a built in work around to help ensure compatibility, efficiency and reduce interference to your wifi network in crowded 2.4Ghz wifi areas. If you aren't in an area crowded with 2.4Ghz wifi and don't have any older b/g wifi devices being used in your coverage area you could probably turn it off.

Last edited:
its to protect against b/g which can cause shorts and electrical faults in wireless chips.

Really its just so both newer and older devices on the 2.4Ghz band can work on the same frequency with less interference and speed penalties as they lacked features that newer protocols do in regards to collisions, interference and many other things.

Really its just so both newer and older devices on the 2.4Ghz band can work on the same frequency with less interference and speed penalties as they lacked features that newer protocols do in regards to collisions, interference and many other things.

It's a bit of an obsolete setting - made a lot of sense with the 802.11n chipsets, but the current crop of 802.11ac aware chipsets - they're much better at co-existance with legacy wifi on 2.4GHz, as they're required to be with 11a/11n on 5GHz.

I'd probably just leave it at default setting - there's a good chance that it doesn't do anything, but it's more work to remove that checkbox... If one has ever reviewed the AsusWRT code in the WebGUI, one would understand that one must step very carefully there if/when making changes ;)

It concerns with in b/g mixed mode only.

BG Protection -On: Priority is given to IEEE802.11g for connection.
BG Protection -Off: Adjusts to slower condition.

@taichee, you're replying to a 4 1/2-year-old thread. :oops:

1610301403671.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!