What's new

What is the cost of 1gb plans in your country

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here in rip-off Britain you basically have to be prepared to swap providers once your initial contract expires.
So I'm on 900/100 (934/103) at £31/month (presonalised deal) with 12 months of XBox game pass Ultimate in a 24-month contract. When the contract ends the rolling price will nearly double if I cant negotiate it down!

Same model as the US for many providers. Luckily Verizon FIOS is pretty good about that, even offering 10 year price lock in some promos.

I live in saudi arabia and the cost of 1gb fiber plans is $266 a month, i think it is a bit expensive, how about you guys, please!

My current plan is 500/125 and costs approximately $100 per month

I only have 300/300 FIOS in the US (it actually does 350 consistently) as that is plenty for me at $29.99 per month. 1G FIOS (which is like 940 down 870 up) sometimes drops to $60 per month in my area, but $80 is the non-promo price right now including their top of the line router and an extender. If you have wireless phone through them they give you a discount on both services too, but their phone is really expensive so I wouldn't do that.

In the US, it depends how much competition is in your area. Since FIOS pretty much has competition everywhere they roll out, their prices are pretty consistent and they actually cause the other providers to lower their price. But if you just have a single provider, usually cable, it can be really outrageous and they all play the crazy games with extra fees, price skyrocketing after the first year, etc. Luckily the 5G internet is also helping bring competition and lower prices.

I only have 300/300 FIOS in the US (it actually does 350 consistently) as that is plenty for me at $29.99 per month. 1G FIOS (which is like 940 down 870 up) sometimes drops to $60 per month in my area, but $80 is the non-promo price right now including their top of the line router and an extender. If you have wireless phone through them they give you a discount on both services too, but their phone is really expensive so I wouldn't do that.

In the US, it depends how much competition is in your area. Since FIOS pretty much has competition everywhere they roll out, their prices are pretty consistent and they actually cause the other providers to lower their price. But if you just have a single provider, usually cable, it can be really outrageous and they all play the crazy games with extra fees, price skyrocketing after the first year, etc. Luckily the 5G internet is also helping bring competition and lower prices.
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I agree that the 5G availability in my country has helped in bringing fiber prices down, espicialy with speeds close to 1gb in some majour cities like mine.

Attached is a 5g speed test on my samsung s23 ultra nearby my house 🤣

I used to depend on 5G before but with flucuating speeds i turned to fiber

Attachments

• Screenshot_٢٠٢٣٠٨١٠_١٩٤٥٠٣_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_٢٠٢٣٠٨١٠_١٩٤٥٠٣_Speedtest.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 34
Suspect I'm with the same provider as @Crimliar here in the UK. They advertise gig speeds but have terrible upload rates. (From memory I think it's gig down, 60meg up)

There are new competitors starting up, aka alt-nets, but they're still rolling out the fibre just as the cable companies were in the 90s. Generally they're start ups and loaded with debt backed by VCs though. My guess is the established companies (particularly the previously mentioned provider) are hoping the alt-nets will struggle given rising costs and can be bought out at a bargain discount as the VCs try to limit their losses - essentially consolidating back under the same old same old...

In the meantime I'm hoping I've signed the last contract with the cable co for a while as there is supposed to be some actual competition near me soon...

I'm with BT, it was the very best deal I could get. Even BT's own budget brands EE and PlusNet were more expensive. The 12 months of XBox Pass Ultimate was a genuine bonus that I hadn't been expecting! It was very much a personalised deal though as I'd asked to be notified when FTTP became available and then couldn't take up the offer for six months and the enticements were getting greater and greater! My previous supplier, Vodafone, though came up with a bonkers expensive plan (£50 for 500/50) that even looking through their price list I can't figure out - and there was no flexibility it was take it or leave it!

US and Canada pay fairly high rates compared to the EU/UK markets - not just for Broadband, but also for mobile/wireless service and linear TV (not streaming).

I'm in SoCal - residential but unincorporated (we're San Diego country, but not aligned with any of the cities) - due to years of underinvestment by our wireline carrier (ATT), DSL is not really an option unless you like 50 mbit down/5 up @ $100USD monthly... they don't even offer fibre to the node, much less fibre to the prem in our neighborhood, so it's copper from the Central Office to the premises, and the CO is a good 4 miles away...

We have cable broadband out here, single provider as this is how the market works here - for me, it's Cox, and they do offer Gigabit services, but the plans there are very asymetrical - 1Gb Down, 10Mb update for $70USD and with a 1.25 TB cap ($50/GB for overage) - 1GB/10Mbb unlimited without the cap is $170USD/month...

I'm grandfathered in with 300/30Mbit at $104/month, but no data cap, and I get a pubic IPv4 and IPv6 address with only ports 25 and 80 filtered inbound.

I've also got a 5G-FWA link (T-Mobile Home Internet) for $55/month no caps, and typically I'll see around 300 down, 50 up as an average, but higher latency than Cable, and no inbound traffic...

=====

Edit - fixed CoxHSI cap - originally was a typo of 1.25GB, actually 1.25TB - thanks to @eightiescalling for pointing that out...

Last edited:
We have cable broadband out here, single provider as this is how the market works here - for me, it's Cox, and they do offer Gigabit services, but the plans there are very asymetrical - 1Gb Down, 10Mb update for $70USD and with a 1.25 GB cap ($50/GB for overage) - 1GB/10Mbb unlimited without the cap is $170USD/month...
Please tell me that's a typo... Never mind competitive, how can a package you max out in minutes then pay hundreds of bucks an hour to keep going (albeit at full speed) even be viable enough to advertise?

@Crimliar I hadn't realised BT engaged in the game to the same degree as Virgin. So the cancel every contract game it is then?

It was Vodafone that came up with the bonkers upgrade from VDSL2 to FTTP cost, but the price of my package with BT will roughly double even without the XBox Ultimate unless I can negotiate. BT being the cheapest was one hell of a surprise! I'd been with Vodafone for around 6 years and had a VERY nice price for their VDSL2 package and I'm still paying them £13/m for a 5G all-you-can-eat mobile which frankly I can't beat!
I think the conversation regards how the internet is delivered (as opposed to cost) probably deserves its own thread - I've a feeling some may be surprised at how complex it is in the UK!

USA, southeast New Hampshire. Fidium Fiber, 2Gb up/down, $85/month.

sam

Please tell me that's a typo... Never mind competitive, how can a package you max out in minutes then pay hundreds of bucks an hour to keep going (albeit at full speed) even be viable enough to advertise?

@Crimliar I hadn't realised BT engaged in the game to the same degree as Virgin. So the cancel every contract game it is then?

I'm assuming it is TB, most US ISPs are hundreds of gigs or a TB depending on the plan tier. Luckily mine has no cap but it wouldn't be an issue for me anyway most likely.

USA, southeast New Hampshire. Fidium Fiber, 2Gb up/down, $85/month.

sam

My mom is in Lee and Fidium is "coming soon" to her. Their prices for the high tiers are good but she just needs basic, and Comcast is actually cheaper for the lower tiers. But the competition should bring prices down overall in the area hopefully.

Never get tired of seeing Comcast lose their monopoly and having to cut prices and stop with the crazy contracts and price hikes (though they still try, just not as severe).

I think the conversation regards how the internet is delivered (as opposed to cost) probably deserves its own thread - I've a feeling some may be surprised at how complex it is in the UK!

Openreach keeps BT in business, and the gov't won't interfere too much as they're the ones rolling out all the fiber that the gov't wants and has promised everyone. They pretend to regulate it but it's all for show. Basically the only rule is BT has to charge customers the same cost for the fiber or copper connection as they charge the 3rd parties they lease it to. Considering the openreach portion is by far the highest profit margin, I don't think they really care much if someone else provides TV/phone/internet over it.

But if things keep going the way they are, it will be Altice UK soon. Last count they owned about 25% of BT shares and with the share price where it is now, I'm sure he's snapped up a bunch more.

A lot of European and APAC countries follow the model where you rent the fiber from one company, and can mix and match services on top of it. I remember people used to freak out that Tokyo you could get a "1G service" for like $10 per month, not realizing that was just the fiber with nothing on it. The main difference in the UK is one company owns basically all the fiber (or the conduits where the others are starting to run their own fiber, and charge them to use it).

I'm assuming it is TB, most US ISPs are hundreds of gigs or a TB depending on the plan tier. Luckily mine has no cap but it wouldn't be an issue for me anyway most likely.
I hope so or Cox customers are a lot richer than me!

Openreach keeps BT in business, and the gov't won't interfere too much as they're the ones rolling out all the fiber that the gov't wants and has promised everyone. They pretend to regulate it but it's all for show. Basically the only rule is BT has to charge customers the same cost for the fiber or copper connection as they charge the 3rd parties they lease it to. Considering the openreach portion is by far the highest profit margin, I don't think they really care much if someone else provides TV/phone/internet over it.

But if things keep going the way they are, it will be Altice UK soon. Last count they owned about 25% of BT shares and with the share price where it is now, I'm sure he's snapped up a bunch more.

A lot of European and APAC countries follow the model where you rent the fiber from one company, and can mix and match services on top of it. I remember people used to freak out that Tokyo you could get a "1G service" for like $10 per month, not realizing that was just the fiber with nothing on it. The main difference in the UK is one company owns basically all the fiber (or the conduits where the others are starting to run their own fiber, and charge them to use it).
I seem to remember a study a while back proving Openreach on its own was worth more than BT Group combined. There's regularly talk of spinning it out (and I'm sure if the Altice thing continues that will happen) but it always falls over when they look at the state of the pension fund.

I'm curious to see what will happen with the ongoing Altice buy-in (but like curiosity in a slow motion train wreck). The UK government has one half of its party wanting it to prove it will block it to protect national interests (the French ownership of chunks of our power infrastructure isn't exactly a resounding success compared to how it's owners behave in France) and the other half would waive the sale through to prove the UK is "open for business".

Yeah - 1.25TB, not 1.25GB - the cap is still there, and the overage cost is accurate...

One thing to note - after talking to a couple of friends here in San Diego, there may be some zone based offerings when talking to customer care, but what I see on the web is accurate...

I hope so or Cox customers are a lot richer than me!

well - chatting with my teams over in the UK and DE - the hit for the US is pretty severe compared 1:1 - my broadband/tv/mobile is well over $350USD per month - which is better (for the providers) than my mates over there..

That being - monthly costs...

104 - Broadband - (CoxHSI) - residential
55 - Broadband - $55 (TMHI) - professional/work
20 - Wireless - paid in advance (Mint Mobile) - professional/work
149 - 4 Lines Personal Wireless - believe it or not, this is a 'deal'
42 - 1 wireline/POTS - $42/month (29 plus taxes/universal service fees, etc)
139 - 1x Linear TV, eg. regular TV - I need my sports here, sucks that there are 100 channels I don't need
80 - non-Linear TV - eg. streaming - Netflix/Hulu/Himawari

Not bragging - service costs are outrageous to be honest...

Green Island, NY here, 10mi north of Albany, alongside the Hudson river, across from Troy, NY

There are several ISPs in my area, but only one for broadband (more on that later). Spectrum's rates border usury for what they offer.

Spectrum Internet: (300 Mbps x 10 Mbps)
$84.99

Spectrum Internet Ultra: (500 Mbps x 20 Mbps)

$104.99

Spectrum Internet Gig: (1 Gbps x 35 Mbps)

$124.99

I have the 300/10 for $84.99, with a $5 discount for auto pay and The Emergency Broadband Benefit discount of $30 (wife is disabled), knocking the bill down to a barely tolerable $49.99.

Now, while Verizon services Albany county, they never completed the deployment of fiber in many areas. I am less than 2 miles east of the closest deployment. They are offer 1gig symmetrical for $64.99, 500/500 for $44.99 and 300/300 for $24.99.

The 5G wireless option they offer is a joke, as I live in a valley and the lag is terrible.
Greenlight Networks is north of me and hopefully, someday give another option.

Green Island, NY here, 10mi north of Albany, alongside the Hudson river, across from Troy, NY

There are several ISPs in my area, but only one for broadband (more on that later). Spectrum's rates border usury for what they offer.

Spectrum Internet: (300 Mbps x 10 Mbps)
$84.99

Spectrum Internet Ultra: (500 Mbps x 20 Mbps)

$104.99

Spectrum Internet Gig: (1 Gbps x 35 Mbps)

$124.99

I have the 300/10 for $84.99, with a $5 discount for auto pay and The Emergency Broadband Benefit discount of $30 (wife is disabled), knocking the bill down to a barely tolerable $49.99.

Now, while Verizon services Albany county, they never completed the deployment of fiber in many areas. I am less than 2 miles east of the closest deployment. They are offer 1gig symmetrical for $64.99, 500/500 for $44.99 and 300/300 for $24.99.

The 5G wireless option they offer is a joke, as I live in a valley and the lag is terrible.
Greenlight Networks is north of me and hopefully, someday give another option.
Thank you for your detailed reply. Its kinda of strange how prices differs in the US from state to another

Also noticed that upload speeds are very minimal compared to download.

Here usually its one quarter of the download speed, like in my case down 500/ up 125 mbps

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!