What's new

Solved What is the default SSID password for ASUS_48_2G?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's not evidence. That page is part of QIS (Quick Internet Setup) accessible via the topmost button in the sidebar.
How would the WiFi be split when the setting is not split? According to what you have there in the settings both bands would have the same SSID ending _2G. How have you connected to _5G? You didn't. You just typed those settings in to help fabricate this nonsense.
If this was April fool's I'd be laughing - but it ain't.
Stop crying wolf, it's becoming annoying now.

Are you dumb bruv? or is this a wind up?

The default SSIDs with a brand new out of the box router of this model presents two SSIDs by default BEFORE any settings are configured for the device. Those two SSIDs are ASUS_48_2G and ASUS_48_5G. Now a non-buggy boot up would allow an open connection to either of those default SSIDs. You would then go to 192.168.1.1 and fine tune the settings.

I'd make a video to show you the router being factory reset a few times, the two default SSIDs appearing with a (buggy) pre-populated password and my laptop being able to connect to them with that newly discovered password. However, a video is of no use or help to someone who is delusional. You need a different type of help.

For anyone else who comes across this issue/bug, the password is above.

Thanks

Are you dumb bruv? or is this a wind up?

The default SSIDs with a brand new out of the box router of this model presents two SSIDs by default BEFORE any settings are configured for the device. Those two SSIDs are ASUS_48_2G and ASUS_48_5G. Now a non-buggy boot up would allow an open connection to either of those default SSIDs. You would then go to 192.168.1.1 and fine tune the settings.

I'd make a video to show you the router being factory reset a few times, the two default SSIDs appearing with a (buggy) pre-populated password and my laptop being able to connect to them with that newly discovered password. However, a video is of no use or help to someone who is delusional. You need a different type of help.

For anyone else who comes across this issue/bug, the password is above.

Thanks
I'm not your brother. Welcome to my ignore list.

Attachments

• Selection_001.png
    Selection_001.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 50
Calm down brothers. This router does contain this password in NVRAM, but I don’t know what it is used for. The default after reset is no password. Must be some kind of bug happening. Is this the only bug in Asuswrt? Just fix it or go around it and move on. Nothing critical here to worry about. We had firmware releases with firewall bugs.

Calm down brothers. This router does contain this password in NVRAM, but I don’t know what it is used for. The default after reset is no password. Must be some kind of bug happening. Is this the only bug in Asuswrt? Just fix it or go around it and move on. Nothing critical here to worry about. We had firmware releases with firewall bugs.
I don't recall ever seeing any default wifi password in any nvram dump from any asus router AC/AX or, AXE.
For this to ever be real the OP must either have a fake router, fake firmware, or both.

I found it online in another forum. The same password. Never seen it on any router myself, but it doesn’t automatically exclude some bug possibility.

I don't recall ever seeing any default wifi password in any nvram dump from any asus router AC/AX or, AXE.
For this to ever be real the OP must either have a fake router, fake firmware, or both.

This guy is a troll. Go and watch some Love Island poppy.

Just registered to add my 2 cents.

I have the same case, but with RT-AC3100 that I bought used recently off eBay.
I have Merlin 386.12 and password is set after reset, even though no password is indicated on the router. I have had other Asus routers, which had a default wifi password, but it was always indicated on the back of the router. I think the router with default password was RT-ACRH13.

Anyway, after connecting with cable, I also found the password to be "asuswifi0123".
I also found this string several times in "nvram show" command:
wl1.2_wpa_psk=asuswifi0123
wl0.4_wpa_psk=asuswifi0123
wl1.3_wpa_psk=asuswifi0123
wl0.1_wpa_psk=asuswifi0123

I'm not sure if any of these means that it is the default password, but at the moment, I have the wifi password changed to something else, but this string still appears in "nvram show" command.

Tomorrow I want to try to reset using WPS button, I have reset the router using GUI several times, but the password remains.

So, to update, pressing WPS and powering the router did not remove the default password.
But installing 386.11 did.

I'm using 386.12 on an AC68U and AC86U and there is no default password.

Last edited:
So, to update, pressing WPS and powering the router did not remove the default password.
But installing 386.11 did.

Must be a bug in 386.12 for this specific model. I see you reported it in the release thread. This is the right thing to do.

Can confirm. Pulled an old RT-AC88u out for repurposing.

After flashing I was having trouble getting it to be a node again. I then tried logging in via wifi and couldn't after several wps resets.

Firmware on it, probably 386.7: Reset and password was blank, open network.
Updated to latest Merlin FW, 3004.386.12_2: secured network, needs password.

This post led me to asuswifi0123 and that worked.

side note: Can also confirm that Ripshod is a massive troll.

Ok ASUS can go and suck my batty hole for starters.

I just mauled through the drawers and found a USB-C hub with a LAN port and connected to the MAC via ETH and managed to get to 192.168.1.1

First thing it asks is how you want to set up the router up blah blah balls and blah. You fill and click and eventually land on the page to set up your Wireless networks. Here you see the default wireless SSID of ASUS_48_2G with a pre-populated asterisked password........Oh let's click on the eye symbol to reveal what it is:

View attachment 53096

I then disconnected the LAN cable and connected to the wireless SSID (asus_48_2g) to see if the password worked. It did. I also tried the password with asus_48_5g. It worked.

Side note, Googling asuswifi0123 brings you back a couple of search results (one in Russian) but none of these sites were discussing what the default SSID password was. They had some router dumps pasted in which was this password. Anyways this may very well be the ONLY post in the world and indeed the internet that reveals what the DEFAULT SSID PASSWORD is for ASUS_48_2G and ASUS_48_5 networks.

AGAIN - ASUS SUCK MY BATTY HOLE!!! I hope this saves a lot of people a lot of pain.
I can confirm from my experience also. I recently flashed my router to the merlin rom also(router is ac88u, SSID was saying ASUS_88_5G, ASUS_88_2G). No password is printed on bottom of router and the SSID on sticker were not the same as the ones showing up in wifi list. Sticker said (Asus, and Asus_5g).

I tried admin, password and searched everywhere for asus default password for that model ac88u. None of them worked. I tried the factory reset also and it still wanted a password.

So I plugged straight into router with Ethernet cable and went to 192.168.1.1. That worked. I went to the wireless settings menu and clicked on the password box.......wait for it..........asuswifi0123

No other place have I ever come across this password for an asus router. I've had four models-ac1900,ax3100,ax86u, and this one ac88u. They all had the same default password printed on sticker on bottom of router except the 88u. Something in merlin rom changed my default password.

Here's one more thing I discovered a fix for with the RT-AC88U (with firmwares as for writing this).

You won't be able to administer the AC88U as a node with things like USB application/switch control/update firmware. Basically anything that pops up a node login page and prompts for username password. Nothing will let you log in, no combo of your assigned password and root/admin/whatever default Asus has had in the past.

The fix to log in is make sure you have turned on SSH LAN access with password login at least once. This seems to sync the login back to your normal Asus administration login credentials on the AC88U.

If you already had SSH login enabled you probably wouldn't notice this, if it did set the password for you. Without SSH enabled, it never will in my experience. This only applies to my AC88U, my AC86U works as it should and didn't have this issue. I've reset things a few times with nodes recently and this is repeatable.

I have had a right day today! I'm lazy so skipped a few fw versions (was on 386_7 on AC88U). Flashed 386_12_6 , told me to manually reboot so I did. Did factory reset (initialised settings), when it came back up, NO "ASUS" SSID came up for a while, then ASUS_E8_2G came up requiring a password - this ain't normal I thought, tried different ones, denied. There was no 5G SSID either. I factory reset again, the ASUS ssid was there and then not again. Waited ages, tried to connect again using "asuswifi0123" I saw here, nothing. I was able to access via a cable, got to setup page, created my wifi network names/passwords, saved, then I could finally access over wifi. I thought I'd try flash the FW again thinking it was a glitch, same things happened. I got there in the end but my god, what a PITA.