What's new

Whats a good mesh wifi that will play nice with the RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brettule

Occasional Visitor
I'm happy with my RT-AC68U but not so happy with my wifi coverage. I'm looking for a good quality mesh wifi AP setup (2 or perhaps 3 AP's) that will do all the modern meshy smart stuff (steering, hand off, etc) but everything else it leave to the router (DHCP, DNS, parental controls, throttlilng, etc). Any tips on devices I should look at?

I'm happy with my RT-AC68U but not so happy with my wifi coverage. I'm looking for a good quality mesh wifi AP setup (2 or perhaps 3 AP's) that will do all the modern meshy smart stuff (steering, hand off, etc) but everything else it leave to the router (DHCP, DNS, parental controls, throttlilng, etc). Any tips on devices I should look at?
Another AC68U or an RT-AC66U_b1 which I have seen on sale for about $60.

Consider retiring the effectively obsolete 10-year-old router you're using today, and moving to an AX-class router instead. Considering the age, and limitations, already being faced with your current router on the latest RMerlin firmware, I don't see how this model won't be going into EOL status very soon. Even if you don't run RMerlin firmware and just stock Asus.

The RT-AX68U, the RT-AX86U, and the GT-AX6000 will outperform your current router, even without AiMesh being needed.

See the performance improvement I would expect from a new, entry-level, AX-class router in your environment. And this is from (at the time) the best AC-class router available (RT-AC86U), which is already a huge jump from the RT-AC68U you have (particularly if it's the original version).

Consider retiring the effectively obsolete 10-year-old router you're using today, and moving to an AX-class router instead. Considering the age, and limitations, already being faced with your current router on the latest RMerlin firmware, I don't see how this model won't be going into EOL status very soon. Even if you don't run RMerlin firmware and just stock Asus.

The RT-AX68U, the RT-AX86U, and the GT-AX6000 will outperform your current router, even without AiMesh being needed.

See the performance improvement I would expect from a new, entry-level, AX-class router in your environment. And this is from (at the time) the best AC-class router available (RT-AC86U), which is already a huge jump from the RT-AC68U you have (particularly if it's the original version).

Thanks for the tip, probably wise I upgrade. I need the router right at one end of my house where the interent is presented so I'll still need an AP 3/4ers of the way down the house to cover the back half. Any reccomendations on a great quality router and a second AP to mesh with it?

If you can use a switch where your ISP comes into your home, place the main router more towards the center of the areas you need to be covered (the main router doesn't need to be right beside the modem/ONT).

The same models I recommended above paired with another identical model will make great AiMesh nodes too. But be sure you test with a single, well-placed unit first, before you open the box of the second (identical) router. You should be pleasantly surprised by what an optimally located, current, AX-class router can do for your network experience.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!