What's new

Whats the proper way to reboot router/modem ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Subzero89

Occasional Visitor
I got a new router recently and was wondering if my old way was still the right way. So lets say for whatever reason I'm having problems with my internet and I need to reboot. By the way my modem and router are both plugged on the same power strip. So I usually just hit the power strip off switch wait 30 seconds and switch the button back on and then both devices boot up the same time.

Is the correct way to boot up the modem first...wait a few moments then power the router afterwards ?

Does it matter ?

Thanks

It may not matter in all cases, but I prefer to power off both at the same time, wait for at least 5 to 10 minutes, then power on the modem and wait 5 minutes, then power on the router and wait 5 minutes before I reconnect any devices (wired or wireless, switches or clients) that I have also powered down completely too (by physically pulling the plug after they have safely shut down).

This may be a little 'too much' for most people. But a lot of otherwise untrackable gremlins seem to go away after doing the above.

I'm more in the middle.

Pull plug from both, make sure easy to identify which goes where!

Boot up Modem, wait for all lights about 1 minute

Boot up router, wait another minute

Boot up switch

for basic debug, I always kick the unit I think might be a problem...

if I have suspected WAN issues, I'll power down the Router/AP, and reboot the modem first...

It seems like going in order, starting from the wall (modem, fiber, cable) makes sense. The AP relies on the router, the router relies on the modem, etc... really though, the order probably does not matter.

If you you have a HDD hooked to the routers, I'd think SSHing in and executing a "poweroff" (or similar) command would be safest.

In the old days with AT&T you needed the modem on first. If you changed routers you would need to reboot your modem first. It may have had something to do with PPPOE. Now with my latest TWC modem it does not seem to matter which order you boot in. I can even change my router without rebooting the TWC modem.
My thinking is things are getting better and the rules are changing.

A friend of mine used to shut his PC off every night by flipping the switch of the power-strip... :eek: