What's new

Where are you finding ASUS RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sasquatch

New Around Here
I'm in need of 2 new routers. One for home and one for work. I was going to get the N56u but now see the N66U is available.

I can't find the 66 in stock anywhere. Amazon says 3-5 weeks. Newegg shows out of stock.

Any thoughts?

I'm in need of 2 new routers. One for home and one for work. I was going to get the N56u but now see the N66U is available.

I can't find the 66 in stock anywhere. Amazon says 3-5 weeks. Newegg shows out of stock.

Any thoughts?
I was in the San Marcos, CA Fry's Electronics this past Saturday and they had one 'returned' on the shelf (with $10-$15 off, to boot). The previous owner had obviously had issues w/the .72 firmware but putting the router into recovery mode and then loading .90, and doing a manual setup (vs. the wizard) worked like a charm.

Note that I couldn't find any inventory/stock checker online for Fry's... just happened to run into it. The guy said they've had lots of people asking about them and lots of returns since people couldn't get them working. (obviously, not aware of the .90 firmware or maybe how to get it on to the router)

I was looking for this also, and found. According to website they have already some of them on stock.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382281
Even if they have it, it is hugely overpriced. Personally I can wait for the price go lower, my old router is still working, I will buy RT-N66 when the price will go under 200$, or just look for any comparable competitor. Other way, there were no good review on this router, only some rumours that is fast. It may be only marketing crap.

btw, the Fry's Product ID# for the RT-N66U is 6968887 if that helps. You could call around to check availability for store pickup (I couldn't find a way to do it via their website since the product is unlisted...)

I got mine from Amazon. Placed order on January 1st. Took awhile to get it.

They had issues with the original batch since the .72 firmware was broken. They should have more in stock nation wide come mid-Feb.

Just checked the link your provided and microcenter says out of stock

You need to change the dropdown to a local store (not the default which is their online store which is indeed out of stock).
My local store has 5 in stock. Once you add the sales tax it comes to $246 which is much more than I paid for mine elsewhere.

You need to change the dropdown to a local store (not the default which is their online store which is indeed out of stock).
My local store has 5 in stock. Once you add the sales tax it comes to $246 which is much more than I paid for mine elsewhere.
So I wasn't wrong:
Availability:
6 in stock
at Dallas Metroplex/Richardson for 18 Minute In-Store Pickup (explain)
Maybe I was connected via VPN, so it shows to me that there are no item on stock.

The Microcenter next to where I work has 1 in stock, according to their web site. However, $249 is not worth it to me, I can wait *smile*.

Recheck the Fry's website by searching for product# 6968887. The router is now listed and in stock. I placed an order last night for my third RT-N66U and it'll be here early next week.

Fry's now seems to be out of this router, any other reasonable known sources ($179-ish)?

Fry's now seems to be out of this router, any other reasonable known sources ($179-ish)?

Not really... hopefully all the major internet retailers will have more inventory this coming week. I base this on NewEgg's 2/16/2012 availability date.

Have to wonder what the hold up of this product is. Delivery dates keep getting pushed up. Amazon missed my 2/17 delivery date and now moved it up to 3/19. I have noticed the same thing happening at other retailers. I am finding myself starting to not want this router anymore. I purchased one from Amazon that was shipped DOA 12/31, and they still have not been able to replace it.

Last edited:
canada computerdot com had a few , got mine 3 days ago

Howdy,
I have been wondering the same thing. Where is it available?
I went ahead and did the pre-order 2/20 on Newegg. This evening, 2/21, I have my shipping invoice and tracking number. Its coming out of the Baldwin Park, CA warehouse. I guess they are coming into the channel.

later...

Update: Arrived on my doorstep today Thursday 2/23/2012.

Good job Newegg.com

Last edited:
Amazon has removed the "Temporarily out of stock" and replaced it with "Usually ships in 2-5 weeks" for this router, which is about the same thing as far as I'm concerned. The delivery window for orders right now is March 20 - April 2. Lovely.

I ordered an rt-n66u in mid-January, and cancelled it mid-February when my main router died. At that point I got an Asus rt-n56u to replace my newly dead router, since the rt-n66u's were just not available and I needed a router immediately. The Asus rt-n56u is working very well indeed with the alternative firmware, but I know that it is an interim solution since it doesn't have IPv6 support. Not sure when the need for that will actually arise, but until then the rt-n56u is filling my needs well. There's also a chance IPv6 support may be added to the alternative firmware for the rt-56u, that remains to be seen.

Did the pre-order from Newegg this morning. With luck it'll ship next week.

Sam

Amazon has removed the "Temporarily out of stock" and replaced it with "Usually ships in 2-5 weeks" for this router, which is about the same thing as far as I'm concerned. The delivery window for orders right now is March 20 - April 2. Lovely.

Yep. I just got an email that my order now had a delivery date window of March 19- April 2. This unit sure is popular or Asus is redoing these and stopped production for a bit.

Asus is apparently working on firmware, but I doubt that they will re-work the hardware for some time. There are several issues with new hardware, you got all the current disgruntled users with the old hardware to deal with, rounds of new firmware writing and testing and hardware testing that takes quite a while, etc. Changing hardware is quite an effort, and needs to be carefully planned and marketed. But it seems that most companies don't slow down manufacturing or selling while they're working on a router if the product is as functional as this one is.

I suspect that their production capacity just isn't meeting demand. Given the general quality falloff that seems to be happening with the other router manufacturers and the great reviews that this model is getting, the level of demand may be higher than Asus planned for.

Or maybe it's just a marketing ploy to keep people talking about it, and keep the ownership value of the product up *smile*. I doubt it, but you never know.