What's new

Which 16 port switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
Hi,

We are just finishing up a set of ethernet runs throughout the house. These will all tie back to a single switch so I need a device with 16 ports. At my office I used Cisco 16 port units and they have been reliable and fast. But it looks like Cisco has gotten out of the unmanaged switch business and I do not want to spend the $500+ to go with their managed switches. Any suggestion for unmanaged 16 port gigabit switch?

I have tried both Netgear GS units and the DLink units and not had such good luck. Both failed after 12-18 months.

Thanks,

jerry

I have a regular (white) Netgear Gigabit switch (5-port) from years ago - still going strong. I would try to stay away from anything "green" as I find that they have pushed those switches out without proper testing. They tend to cause more problems than they're worth at this time.

I also like TP-Link. I bought a router from them to use OpenWRT on (the WDR4300) after I had a major network problem at home and didn't have a backup for what I thought might be my router failing. It wasn't failing, but turns out that the TP-Link is much faster in throughput and better at memory management than my older WNDR3700v2 (which I still love), so I kept it and it is now my VLAN router and internet gateway.

Whatever you do, make sure your switch has no fans. They are small, whiny, and will fail causing more of a headache than they're worth. Any switch worth its salt won't put out so much heat it needs a fan, unless you start getting into PoE switches and heavy-duty managed switches with a lot more ports.

I have an old Cisco unmanaged 16 port switch I have had for years. It just runs; never has a problem. I had a Dell 16 port switch before that which I had to reboot about every 6 months. The network would slow way down and I would reboot it and everything would run normal again. It finally bugged me enough that I bought a Cisco switch.

I've worked on Cisco Catalyst one for over 13 years on jobs sites and I use this one shown in the image below;

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/530256_10151026154917949_22180884_n.jpg

TP-LINK SafeStream™ Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router TL-ER6120 on top and the TP-LINK JetStream™ 16-Port Gigabit L2 Managed Switch TL-SG3216 on the bottom.

Today everything in this mini metal rack mounted system shown below;

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/305559_10151185719252949_1756536653_n.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!