What's new

WHS2011 & RT-N66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wiseoracle

Occasional Visitor
I cannot seem to get my micro server to play nice with the router.

WHS will try uPnP, which it fails. It can identify the router and the IP of my ISP, but will not work at all.

I have tried port forwarding 80, 443, 4125 TCP ports.

I have tried putting the server on the DMZ as well.

I can't get it to play nice.

Suggestions?

WHS will try uPnP, which it fails. It can identify the router and the IP of my ISP, but will not work at all.

Suggestions?

This issue have been reported.. see link below. If you don't mine using 3rd party firmware, you can try tomato. port forwarding works.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6714&page=22

Last edited:

Suggestions?
I also have whs and upnp also does not work for me, but the ports forwarded manually do work. I attached a pic of my router settings. When you setup the remote access on whs, it will fail, start the process again, but select "i will manually setup my router", make sure you open the link with instructions, close web browser and than just click next-Ok on setup page and finish. WHS will than take some time and take the settings. Remote access will than work fine. If you turn Remote Access Off, you will need to do the procedure again. Pain in the a$$ but works.
Hope it helps.

PS- make sure u use static IP for the Home server and you direct the ports to it.

Attachments

• Port Foward.jpg
    Port Foward.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,168
Windows Home Server 2011 Asus RT-N66u

I too have this router. The connection tool in Windows Home Server did not work for me, and continually reported that my router is not working but manually forwarding the ports in the above post works like a charm. I disabled UPnP which I am not really sure I needed to do but it works now (with the ports manually forwarded).

Also, I assigned a static ip address to WHS in the router settings. Here's how:

1. Click on "LAN".
2. Click on "DHCP Server" tab.
3. At the bottom you will see "manually assigned IP around the DHCP list".
4. Input the MAC address for your WHServer.
5. The IP address should auto fill.
6. Click the "+" sign.
7. Click "apply".

Good luck!

I also have whs and upnp also does not work for me, but the ports forwarded manually do work. I attached a pic of my router settings. When you setup the remote access on whs, it will fail, start the process again, but select "i will manually setup my router", make sure you open the link with instructions, close web browser and than just click next-Ok on setup page and finish. WHS will than take some time and take the settings. Remote access will than work fine. If you turn Remote Access Off, you will need to do the procedure again. Pain in the a$$ but works.
Hope it helps.

PS- make sure u use static IP for the Home server and you direct the ports to it.

Thanks for this info - it worked well and whs 2011 shows remote access as available:D.

I just got one of these routers and I setup my port forwarding the same way as others did here. Yet, my configuration on WHS 2011 doesn't work. I went to a port forward checking site and it verified that port forwarding is working on port 80 and 443. Yet, I can't get port 4125 to forward. When I check the port, it says its closed. That isn't what is intended though as I have that port open according to the GUI interface.

Any ideas?

I have tried rebooting the router, turning off UPNP, turning it back on, and so on. Frustrating!

I just got one of these routers and I setup my port forwarding the same way as others did here. Yet, my configuration on WHS 2011 doesn't work. I went to a port forward checking site and it verified that port forwarding is working on port 80 and 443. Yet, I can't get port 4125 to forward. When I check the port, it says its closed. That isn't what is intended though as I have that port open according to the GUI interface.

Any ideas?

I have tried rebooting the router, turning off UPNP, turning it back on, and so on. Frustrating!

When u say doesn't work, you cannot access the server from web? Port 4125 should be for RDP only, everything else should work. The setup page on whs will most likely say failed, has been that way since the very first firmware versions, but will work. Make sure you assign whs a static IP.

Hey just. question..
is this issue exclusively of windows home server?
or does it affect Windows Server 2008 R2 as well?

I still haven't got my R66U.. so cannot give a test.. (I suppose I can give some tests when it arrives...as I have a Wserver2008R2 box acting as PS3 Media Server UPNP, Torrent and File server )

Hey just. question..
is this issue exclusively of windows home server?
or does it affect Windows Server 2008 R2 as well?

I still haven't got my R66U.. so cannot give a test.. (I suppose I can give some tests when it arrives...as I have a Wserver2008R2 box acting as PS3 Media Server UPNP, Torrent and File server )
Home servers, as they will setup a remote access with upnp.

Hi guys

I'm hacing trouble getting remote web access set up with WHS 2011 and the RT-N66u as well if anyone can help.

I have the N66u set up to forward TCP ports 80, 433 and 4125 to the WHS's IP address but it's not playing. I notice that when the WHS tries to set it up with UPNP it shows a greyed out 192.168.0.66 for the router's IP address which is wrong, but there's nowhere to enter any settings in the WHS remote access set up.

Any ideas? I have firmware 3.0.0.4.246 on the N66u.

Many thanks

Hi

A quicker way to get uPNP working with WHS 2011 is to telnet into your router and submit the following commands:

nvram set upnp_min_port_int=80
nvram set upnp_max_port_int=65535
nvram set upnp_min_port_ext=80
nvram set upnp_max_port_ext=65535
nvram commit

This will allow WHS 2011 to work with the N66U via uPNP without setting up manual port forwarding.