What's new

Why not Zoidberg? (new IPv6 test alpha builds)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's nothing to add regarding IPV6, my ISP hasn't enabled it yet but noted the wireless driver for RT-N66u has a new built date of October in this firmware. :cool:

There's nothing to add regarding IPV6, my ISP hasn't enabled it yet but noted the wireless driver for RT-N66u has a new built date of October in this firmware. :cool:

Same here, (ISP hasn't enabled ipv6 yet, actually has blocked he tunnels too)

the driver has a newer date on the RT-AC66U to.

Seems to be working great.

When reporting results, please make sure to also provide the info I mentioned in the first post, especially

- ISP name
- Connection type used by your ISP for IPv6
- Was it working correctly or not in previous versions

I want to see if the new code actually resolves previous issues, or it just works for people who weren't having any problem with the old code anyway.

- Comcast
- Native IPv6
- Working fine on 376.48_3

So far, all seems to work fine with this version...

The only thing I noticed was on the System Log, IPv6 Tab, under the IPv6 LAN Device List. IPv6 devices seem to disappear from the list even though devices are still connected, but some pop back up again later, but only momentarily... As you push the Refresh button, not all IPv6 devices connected are listed in here.

When reporting results, please make sure to also provide the info I mentioned in the first post, especially

- ISP name
- Connection type used by your ISP for IPv6
- Was it working correctly or not in previous versions

I want to see if the new code actually resolves previous issues, or it just works for people who weren't having any problem with the old code anyway.

- Forhtnet (Greece)
- DHCP-PD
- Was working in 378_1 but suffered from issue 788 which seems to be gone now.

In other notes, adding a ULA prefix is a piece of cake with this new alpha build, all I have to do is add a ULA address on the br0 interface and dnsmasq picks it up automatically and starts advertising it. A one liner dnsmasq.postconf!

Really? What ISP is this - should name and shame there perhaps...

Still a lot of ISP haven't launched. Over here, the only major ISP that has anything is Vidéotron, and that "anything" is nothing more than 6rd so far. Bell hasn't even announced what their plan was.

OK, encountered a serious issue, after a sudden loss of connection of the PPPoE session due to bad weather, when it reconnected the odhcp6c did not launch again, effectively bringing IPv6 down completely. Something is not working right with the launch code.

Doing a manual service start from the command line
Code:
service start_dhcp6c
worked but why the firmware did not do it itself?

Last edited:
With the new oDHCPv6, can we set a manual IPv6 DNS server to be distributed to LAN clients?

Previously, I had to run a postconf script to modify the DNS server the dhcp6s gives out.......

With the new oDHCPv6, can we set a manual IPv6 DNS server to be distributed to LAN clients?

Previously, I had to run a postconf script to modify the DNS server the dhcp6s gives out.......

You still need a script to alter the
Code:
dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]
line in dnsmasq.conf, replace the [::] which means the global IPv6 address of the LAN interface of the router with whatever you need.

Doing a manual service start from the command line
Code:
service start_dhcp6c
worked but why the firmware did not do it itself?

Could be a bug. Unfortunately I have no way of testing this, so hopefully Asus will eventually catch it.

Alpha firmware doing well here. About 1.5 days, and IPv6 still working fine. No other problems encountered, also. Good to see.

On the other hand, I have my cable modem and router on a UPS, so it is very unlikely to be affected by weather or brownouts, etc., save for an extended power outage. Which we've not had for some time now *smile*. Highly recommended from personal experience. Providing conditioned power to electronics also tends to extend its life.

Update: feeling good enough about this firmware that I went to check out new firmware for the WRT1900AC, which also worked. But I'm back on this firmware now due to better wireless coverage. I'm feeling like this firmware is working well, and would endorse your moving on to Beta *smile*.

Last edited:
Very close to one day uptime and no IPv6 issues. :) I could not hardly get 12 hours with 376.48_1 before it would drop IPv6. Also i dont see any issues with this Alpha build all running smooth.

Comcast, Native DHCPv6.

Very close to one day uptime and no IPv6 issues. :) I could not hardly get 12 hours with 376.48_1 before it would drop IPv6. Also i dont see any issues with this Alpha build all running smooth.

Comcast, Native DHCPv6.
My current uptime is around 40 days without a loss. I think the build i had prior to that was 20-30 days. Previously it would lose IPv6 after about 4-7 days for me.

My current uptime is around 40 days without a loss. I think the build i had prior to that was 20-30 days. Previously it would lose IPv6 after about 4-7 days for me.

I had similar up times with older builds but the new 48_1 would hold v6 for at most a day. We shall see as the clock tics on.

I had similar up times with older builds but the new 48_1 would hold v6 for at most a day. We shall see as the clock tics on.
Yeah, I was just letting you know that it should be a lot better, since I've been running the new code longer than anyone outside Asus.

Your ISP:Videotron The type of IPv6 connection :6RD

Would be nice if Teksavvy also offered at least 6rd on their vCable package (which is what I have). At least they peer with HE, which means a 6in4 tunnel from HE usually yields pretty decent performance.

Just tried the alpha and no change. Still no v6. I had tried the official 376.3636 previously as well. I guess I can try the fork of 374.43, since folks are reporting good news there.

If all else fails, the N66U may come back out or it be time to try Netgear.

Just tried the alpha and no change. Still no v6. I had tried the official 376.3636 previously as well. I guess I can try the fork of 374.43, since folks are reporting good news there.

If all else fails, the N66U may come back out or it be time to try Netgear.

You don't provide any info as to your ISP or your IPv6 setup, so it's hard for me to determine if the issue is a limitation in the firmware, or something on your ISP's end.

You don't provide any info as to your ISP or your IPv6 setup, so it's hard for me to determine if the issue is a limitation in the firmware, or something on your ISP's end.

Comcast
Dual Stack Native
Stateless
Connect to DHCPv6 automatically enabled
Router Advertisements enabled
DHCPv6 enabled

Technicolor TC8305C emta in bridge mode

You and Jim769 are both comcasts subscribers, yours is set as "Dual stack Native" while Jim's is "Native DHCPv6", are those two two different things?