What's new

Why not Zoidberg? (new IPv6 test alpha builds)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just tried the alpha and no change. Still no v6. I had tried the official 376.3636 previously as well. I guess I can try the fork of 374.43, since folks are reporting good news there.

If all else fails, the N66U may come back out or it be time to try Netgear.

If you take a look at Comcast's list of compatible modems:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

you'll see that the Technicolor 8305C modem is listed as supporting DOCSIS 3.0, but not IPv6. So, from that, I wouldn't be expecting IPv6 to work until you get an IPv6 compatible modem. The Arris TM722g modem that I have works just fine with IPv6 and Comcast.

And Comcast, at least around here, uses DHCP6-PD (prefix delegation), for your reference.

You and Jim769 are both comcasts subscribers, yours is set as "Dual stack Native" while Jim's is "Native DHCPv6", are those two two different things?

Duel stack just simply means IPv4/IPv6 (duel) on the same network. I want to also report IPv6 is still holding rock solid here with the new alpha build.

If you take a look at Comcast's list of compatible modems:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

you'll see that the Technicolor 8305C modem is listed as supporting DOCSIS 3.0, but not IPv6. So, from that, I wouldn't be expecting IPv6 to work until you get an IPv6 compatible modem. The Arris TM722g modem that I have works just fine with IPv6 and Comcast.

And Comcast, at least around here, uses DHCP6-PD (prefix delegation), for your reference.

Only if you use the gateway/router functionality. In bridge mode, it worked fine for months with older Merlin builds and the N66U, and Comcast confirmed that v6 should work fine.

Only if you use the gateway/router functionality. In bridge mode, it worked fine for months with older Merlin builds and the N66U, and Comcast confirmed that v6 should work fine.

Hmm...that's interesting. Then Comcast should put an "*" in that entry in their table, and have a note. From that table, I wouldn't bother with that modem.

Oh well, if I made a list of the things that Comcast should do that they don't or won't do, it wouldn't be short *smile*.

Hmm...that's interesting. Then Comcast should put an "*" in that entry in their table, and have a note. From that table, I wouldn't bother with that modem.

Oh well, if I made a list of the things that Comcast should do that they don't or won't do, it wouldn't be short *smile*.

Comcast is terrible at keeping that website up to date. When i was using my Zoom 5341J it showed it did not support IPv6 and clearly it did, they finally after months updated it.

Comcast
Dual Stack Native
Stateless
Connect to DHCPv6 automatically enabled
Router Advertisements enabled
DHCPv6 enabled

Technicolor TC8305C emta in bridge mode

Could you post your system log?

Also, just to make sure, DHCP-PD is enabled on the router?

Could you post your system log?

Also, just to make sure, DHCP-PD is enabled on the router?

I rolled back to 376.48_1 and did a reset after trying the alpha. IPv6 is currently disabled. If you want me to enable with 378.48 and post the log, then I can, but I'm assuming you want to see the log from the alpha build.

Yes, DHCP-PD was enabled.

I rolled back to 376.48_1 and did a reset after trying the alpha. IPv6 is currently disabled. If you want me to enable with 378.48 and post the log, then I can, but I'm assuming you want to see the log from the alpha build.

Yes, DHCP-PD was enabled.

Are you doing full factory resets and reconfiguring manually after bouncing around between firmwares ? There is a huge thread on the comcast forums with boatloads of problems with that gateway. I could post the link to it if you are not aware of the comcast forums.

Last edited:
Are you doing full factory resets and reconfiguring manually after bouncing around between firmwares ? There is a huge thread on the comcast forums with boatloads of problems with that gateway. I could post the link to it if you are not aware of the comcast forums.

Yes. Have been keeping up with the threads. The vast majority of the issues are people having wifi problems when using it as a gateway/router/wifi access point. I'm using it in bridge mode, and it's possible the modem is the culprit, but it worked fine with the older router and firmware.

Next step is to try the fork of the older build on the new AC68P router.

Yes. Have been keeping up with the threads. The vast majority of the issues are people having wifi problems when using it as a gateway/router/wifi access point. I'm using it in bridge mode, and it's possible the modem is the culprit, but it worked fine with the older router and firmware.

Next step is to try the fork of the older build on the new AC68P router.

Ok just checking. Strange though this alpha build seems to have fixed my v6 issues as of now. I was always able to get a v6 address on most firmwares but keeping it was always my problem this build as of now seems to have solved that.

Yes, the alpha build is what I'm interested in. I'm not sure if the log will help much. I think by default odhcp6c just fails silently, but there are debugging options to enable if there is nothing useful in it.

Howdy folks,

This build replaces the current IPv6 code based on radvd + rdnssd in favor of a new architecture based around dnsmasq and odhcp6c. These new userspace services are generally more modern, and probably also cleaner. Asus wrote that code in the past couple of months, but they haven't enabled it yet in their official releases (the current beta RT-AC87U is the first time I've seen them enable it).

So, I am mostly interested in seeing user feedback regarding IPv6 support. Make sure to mention the following info with your feedback:

• Your ISP
  • The type of IPv6 connection (Native, 6rd, 6in4 tunnel, etc...)
  • If you had any issue with previous firmware versions
  • How this one is working out for you

(for those of you who are new around - yes, the thread title is silly. It's an old tradition when I release such test builds to go with a rather original build name / motto. :) )
[/code]

1. Time Warner Cable
2. Native mode
3. Native mode was always very touchy, and would fail after a few hours, with no IPV6 address. For alpha 2 it fails periodically, but restore itself after a while.

When testing with IPV6 (http://test-ipv6.com) I am getting both totally normal 10/10 results and 0/10 at times. The two consistent error message I get are for problems with PMTUD, and inability to ping numeric IPV6 addresses.

When testing with the Chappell family port scanner, all ports are steal they'd except for the yellow echo reply.

Prior to doing a factory reset, several ports were partially open (yellow), meaning it could be detected but not connected to. So a reset appears to be necessary, at least for me.

The DNS screen is not right, as it only displays a partial a screen which is missing the top.

There is no IPV6 (including site local) when in access point mode (rt-ac68u). I also can pin

The PMTUD Is most problematic as it is causing timeouts, and plane failure.

Pablo

RT-AC56U
ISP: ANTIK (slovakia)
ipv6 static with 64 prefix and works ok for now

but i have problem with 16GB usb2. is connected into usb3 port. in ftp and samba is files showed and i can download this files. but i cant install download manager (no usb found) and in main router page is written 0b available

before worked ok. there is about 10 GB free space, usb is NTFS and router was set to default settings, after i installed 49 firmware and usb was cleaned from old router files. in usb2 port is connected printer

Comcast

Native with PD

Never had issues with any previous firmware

Enabled IPv6 did not obtain address but good to go after reboot of router

Have always had to reboot to obtain address so no difference in that regard

Enabled IPv6 did not obtain address but good to go after reboot of router

Have always had to reboot to obtain address so no difference in that regard

I don't have to reboot with the Netgear R7000 and stock firmware (or tomato ARM), just enable IPv6, and it gets an IPv6 address and IPv6 is immediately available. And with the last firmware that I used with the RT-N66U, I could just enable IPv6 with no reboot, and it would get an IPv6 address and start working when I enabled it (RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4-sdk5 as I recall).

I do have to reboot the RT-AC68P with Zoidberg after enabling IPv6 to get IPv6 addresses and get IPv6 working. Not a problem, though. I haven't been using it continuously, since I went off to test some other firmware on another router, but I'm using it again now, and it is working well for me.

So things are pretty variable here with the firmware release and the router as to whether a reboot is needed.

Well, after 45 days I lost my IPv6 address. My modem lost connection to my ISP last night and when it was able to reestablish a connection, the router did not reaquire its IPv6 address. Disabling then re-enabling IPv6 from the web interface does not work to restore it. Neither does restarting the service manually. I had to actually reboot to reaquire an address.

Interesting, in my case as I reported earlier a "service start_dhcp6c" works and I put a wan-start script in place that makes sure odhcp6c starts every time. But I am using DHCP-PD over a PPPoE connection, not sure if that's also your case.

Interesting, in my case as I reported earlier a "service start_dhcp6c" works and I put a wan-start script in place that makes sure odhcp6c starts every time. But I am using DHCP-PD over a PPPoE connection, not sure if that's also your case.

I'm on Comcast cable. This seems to be a different issue. odhcp6c gets correctly restarted, it just doesn't pick up an address.

Ok, totally different problem as in my case it always gets a prefix from the ISP.