What's new

Why shouldn't I get a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fiber optics at 10Mb/s? what kind of ISP does that? Thats usually what cable or DSL would give.

Indeed, and I pay $100 a month for it and it's by far the best option available. Welcome to Africa my friend...

any edgerouter will support your 20Mb/s forwarding requirement.

Yes I figured that... but wasn't clear if there were other differences between the two in terms of software functionality. Also, going forward it's possible I might move and have a higher speed line, so I'm still interested in the differences.

PS - Nice username :)

All edgerouters have the same features just like with mikrotik all routerboards run the same OS. The differences other than CPU, ram and hardware ports are also minor such as switch chips. Usually take a look at the block diagram before buying.

@occamsrazor 10/10 for $100 is outrageously high!

For 500/500 WAN or below, ER-X is a clear winner over ERL. Major EdgeOS features are pretty consistent across different models. For minute difference, you have to use it and tell us. In Edgerouters, people prefer IPsec over OpenVPN as throughput of IPsec is categorically better with HW crypto and multiple cores. OpenVPN pales as it lacks support of both. For 10/10, OpenVPN certainly will be fine.

I've only used ER-X and for a couple of weeks. So far very happy with it.

Tell me about it. But it's better than the $1200/month my office has to pay for business 10mb connection.... (!)

@occamsrazor For 500/500 WAN or below, ER-X is a clear winner over ERL. Major EdgeOS features are pretty consistent across different models. For minute difference, you have to use it and tell us. In Edgerouters, people prefer IPsec over OpenVPN as throughput of IPsec is categorically better with HW crypto and multiple cores. OpenVPN pales as it lacks support of both. For 10/10, OpenVPN certainly will be fine.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for....

They don't have any kind of online demo site for the EdgeOS GUI do they?

@occamsrazor
I've only used ER-X and for a couple of weeks. So far very happy with it.

Out of interest what were you using before?

Tell me about it. But it's better than the $1200/month my office has to pay for business 10mb connection.... (!)

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for....

They don't have any kind of online demo site for the EdgeOS GUI do they?

Out of interest what were you using before?

I'm not aware of any live demo for EdgeOS GUI. From my experience, its GUI is smoother, more responsive and certainly way more functional than AsusWRT (if you've used it). EdgeOS has too many functionalities that the GUI doesn't cover all. So be prepared to dwell into CLI e.g. for configuring IPv6. If you're IPv4 only, on first run pick the basic or one of more elaborated Wizards. Follow the steps, then you're done.

I'm using ER-X for my 100/100 fiber optics. I like to know my devices inside out. You can read all about my ER-X rant in this thread.

Depends on the terms of service...

Residential Service for my provider - 150/10 is $75USD/Month
Business Grade Service for the same provider - $100USD/Month for 10/10 in my area

Doesn't sound like a good deal until one considers...

Business gives 5 static IP's, public routable (both IPv4/IPv6), no restrictions on running SMTP/HTTP servers, and a minimum performance commitment (at least 10/10, not up to 150/10) - and no data caps. Typically, what I've seen with business, is while they commit to 10/10, it's typically around 300/20... but never goes below 10/10...

That, along with customer care being at the local office vs. somewhere perhaps overseas, can be worth the extra $25/month...

Depends on the terms of service...

Residential Service for my provider - 150/10 is $75USD/Month
Business Grade Service for the same provider - $100USD/Month for 10/10 in my area

Doesn't sound like a good deal until one considers...

Business gives 5 static IP's, public routable (both IPv4/IPv6), no restrictions on running SMTP/HTTP servers, and a minimum performance commitment (at least 10/10, not up to 150/10) - and no data caps. Typically, what I've seen with business, is while they commit to 10/10, it's typically around 300/20... but never goes below 10/10...

That, along with customer care being at the local office vs. somewhere perhaps overseas, can be worth the extra $25/month...

$100 in this case sounds like a steal. I wonder why the price is still so high in America. I thought telecom already de-regulated (somewhat) over there.

In this part of the world, 10G residential service currently at $350/month. In two to three years, I anticipate it drops to $100 level.

For 100/100, 500/500, 1000/1000 residential services, not much price difference. The same infra for the ISP anyway.. It's more like selling $5 for a coke in high street and $2 in a corner shop.

$100 in this case sounds like a steal. I wonder why the price is still so high in America. I thought telecom already de-regulated (somewhat) over there.

In this part of the world, 10G residential service currently at $350/month. In two to three years, I anticipate it drops to $100 level.

That "business" class 10/10 is 10Mb, not Gb ;)

Prices here in the US, at least for many markets - remain high compared to other countries - and this is due to a lack of true competition on the last mile...

Cable is basically a franchised monopoly in a given area, and the incumbent Telecom is the other - in my case - it's Cox for Cable, and ATT for DSL (and in my area, which is not fiber to the node, it's classic ADSL, which for my location is basically 10Mbit/512Kbit at best due to distance from the local Central Office, and that's if you can even get DSL from them (that's another story)) - I'm about 5 miles away from an ATT Fiber to the Node, where things change dramatically, and I hope ATT continues to invest in FTTN, as Cox has done some zone-based pricing to stay competitive...

The 4G/LTE wireless market is in better shape - but we're still seeing some pretty strong bandwidth caps there - I'm fortunate that I live in a "Tier 1" wireless market where we do have some real competition between the big 4 (Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint), but many markets are limited to the big two - VZ and ATT.

the challenge is when one is not urban or in the suburbs - and options there start to dry up quickly - my dad, as an example, lives in the country - his only viable option is satellite broadband or 3G on Verizon (CDMA EV-DO), and both are terribly expensive and very restrictive data caps (and high latency links, so VOIP is out of the question with him)...