What's new

Why the AX88U Pro uses 28% more RAM memory than the AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

I understand both routers are very similar in the baseline Hardware, I don't know what are the differences in Software (ASUSWRT), but using the latest Merlin FW (non-Beta) on the AX88U uses 47% and on the Pro uses 60% of RAM memory, with the exact same configuration and number of devices, a simple Router SWAP. Any idea or comment? Thanks

How do you measure it? Using the free command at the OS level?

How do you measure it? Using the free command at the OS level?
System Status

1705542986233.png

The real apples-to-apples number would be 534004 used, after discounting all the variable cache and buffers used.

I understand both routers are very similar in the baseline Hardware, I don't know what are the differences in Software (ASUSWRT), but using the latest Merlin FW (non-Beta) on the AX88U uses 47% and on the Pro uses 60% of RAM memory, with the exact same configuration and number of devices, a simple Router SWAP. Any idea or comment? Thanks

No, both devices only have a similar casing, internally they are completely different equipment.

No, both devices only have a similar casing, internally they are completely different equipment.
Please could you share more details or a link with a review to those details, I would like to understand in which way the Pro is different/better/worse, thank you

Please could you share more details or a link with a review to those details, I would like to understand in which way the Pro is different/better/worse, thank you
Well the most obvious clue is that one of the routers has 8 LAN ports and the other doesn't.

See here for the difference between the two:
https://www.asus.com/us/product-com...2&LevelId=Networking-IoT-Servers-WiFi-Routers
PS: If you have a USB drive attached to the router to use for SMB access that too may affect RAM usage. Copying files to/from a USB drive attached to the router may cause the RAM to rise and say higher than a router not using a USB hard drive.

See here for the difference between the two:
https://www.asus.com/us/product-com...2&LevelId=Networking-IoT-Servers-WiFi-Routers
PS: If you have a USB drive attached to the router to use for SMB access that too may affect RAM usage. Copying files to/from a USB drive attached to the router may cause the RAM to rise and say higher than a router not using a USB hard drive.
I have nothing external connected to the routers I am comparing, Factory Reset --> Merlin (non-Beta) --> Default Configuration --> 25 devices (mostly IoT)

I had a AX88U and now on the Pro model and I see no difference in ram usage with the scripts I use its about the same.