What's new

WiFi 7 is outdated already.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
This is line of sight, light-based technology. How does this make Wifi 7 outdated? How do you replace a Wifi 7 network with it?

Makes sense with specific applications where uninterrupted line of sight between transmitters and devices is possible (e.g. they mention VR) but for replacement in a walled environment? In the outdoors? In spaces with multiple obstructions? They talk about transmitters in light fixtures... how would you get the signal there in the first place? Seems you'd need too many or it would be sad losing signal by turning away from the source. Pretty skeptical this will make wifi obsolete in its current form.

1689347263519.png

This is something to keep an eye on.
Something to keep an eye on, sure... But I respectfully submit that your thread title isn't even close to reality. Right now, I'm running a 2 node Ai-Mesh system in my 3/2.5 2 story townhome - primarily because the construction around here is concrete/cinderblock, not very conducive to network transmission. I can't even begin to imagine how many nodes I'd need to cover the same space with a line-of-sight, light based system. And, when the sun is shining brightly in the windows, does my network reception degrade or go away? Except for very specific and limited use cases, I'm betting this is at least a decade away from any possibility of broad adoption.

Bull droppings.

WiFi passes through my walls and floors , lets see LiFi do the same thing.
That's right , it can't.

2 entirely different systems and certainly won't make WiFi 7 outdated.

Wow, such negativity! Did anyone read the links/see the video?

As with any new technology, the benefits are reaped by applying that tech appropriately and, as needed. Not by comparing it to the horse and buggy you have in the barn today.

There are no lasers involved. Nor is the fact it doesn't pass outside of walls/floors a bad thing either (think Apt complexes).

That 100x faster than today's WiFi and with more security is the future.

You'll all be coming along for the ride into the future, whether you want to or not. And it doesn't matter if it isn't this exact form of the tech as presented today either. Baby steps. No-one, not even the baby knows where it's going. But it will get there.

This is something to keep an eye on.

Freespace optics has been around for decades.

As far as replacing normal client service? Can't see that happening. Fine for point to point but very susceptible to weather, birds, etc.

Can't see that happening? Really?

Read the articles for examples.

Higher security, much higher speeds than even WiFi 7 is theoretically capable of. Indoors.

This isn't that hard, just reading is required. The potential benefits are there for those that want to see them.

Can't see that happening? Really?

Read the articles for examples.

Higher security, much higher speeds than even WiFi 7 is theoretically capable of. Indoors.

This isn't that hard, just reading is required. The potential benefits are there for those that want to see them.

I did read it and it is nothing new, other than applying existing tech to hub and spoke/star configuration.

Needs clear line of sight, it just isn't practical to put one in every room with 0 obstructions at all possible angles. Sure, some may be willing to do it, but I can't see the average user willing to, even if they release pucks that you can toss all over your house or bulbs for every light fixture (hopefully your fixtures don't block, attenuate, or significantly disperse the IR wavelength).

Plus I'd personally prefer not to have focused high powered IR all over my house. Sure the RF is probably giving us all cancer but being blind while having cancer is even suckier.

Same reason that for every 1 freespace optics long haul out there, there's about 1000 RF based ones (yes, totally SWAG numbers), even though freespace optics has been around at very high speeds and distances for about 20 years now.

The technology may very well have a limited use case, and I'm sure with it being standardized, it will get used. But replacing RF based wifi APs/Routers? Sorry, don't see it happening. If by some miracle they get wide acceptance, the backhaul from each of the optical tx/rx devices (whether it be bulbs, pucks, whatever) will still have to b RF, so pretty much defeats the purpose unless you're willing to run 10G wired connections all over your house for them.

is it possible to use a mirrors or something similar without buying too many nodes to spread Singal across the whole building with this tech !!! if yes. no more Singal mix-up from Naighbours.:rolleyes:

is it possible to use a mirrors or something similar without buying too many nodes to spread Singal across the whole building with this tech !!! if yes. no more Singal mix-up from Naighbours.:rolleyes:

Not really practical, it would have to be focused/angled just right for both send and receive, and walking by it would still be an issue. Not to mention closing a door at night, etc.

And mirrors just help direct the IR into your eyes, probably even focus it better :) These aren't high powered lasers but still not something I'm interested in having all over the place.

Why doors, why walls? Why really practical?
The most important are the results in speed tests. ;)

Maybe if you mounted a disco ball in every room you'd have a full mesh IR network. Ignore those weird floating spots in your eyes and the burned spots on your TV screen.

This is line of sight, light-based technology. How does this make Wifi 7 outdated? How do you replace a Wifi 7 network with it?

I agree - there are valid use cases for it - it's line of sight without obstructions, much like WiGig (60GHz 802.11ad). With 802.11ad - a piece of paper could block the radio - won't be that much different for 802.11bb...

Like WiGig and WiFi HaLow - these are all edge cases with limited market opportunity... but within those markets, there's a fair amount of capability outside of the mainstream applications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!